The Wiccan Chosen One (Chap. 12)

Chapter 12

Katheren-

            My head was pounding, I came awake slowly, even then I couldn’t really process what was going on around me.

            “What are we going to do?” I heard Daren say.

            “We have to hide her,” my grandmother said. “I am sorry, dear, but we will have to hold off your wedding until we truly rid of her this time.”

            “I thought she was gone for good the first time.”

            Grams sighed. “From what I heard, Kate banished her to a sort of punishment realm, not truly vanquished her. If we truly vanquish her, then she won’t be coming back unless re-summoned by the one who vanquished her.”

            “What does that mean?”

            “I’ll tell you later.”

            I tried to open my eyes, but the light hurt and I quickly closed them again. I felt Daren pull me closer to him- and I just noticed then that he was holding me- and I felt the presence of his mind. Kates, can you hear me yet?

            I shut my eyes tighter, trying to fight off of the pain of the monster headache. Yeah. Where are we?

            “We’re in a car,” he said, out loud now, “heading back to my place, my parents and your grandparents are with us. Do you remember what happened?”

            I tried to, but the pain just got worse. No.

            “Can you open your eyes? Talk? Move?”

            I tried moving, it hurt. “Light too bright,” I croaked, “eyes closed better.”

            He laughed softly but the sound was strained. “Anything hurt?”

            “Everything sore,” I rasped out, “headache.”

            “Try going back to sleep, you’ll feel better once you wake up.”

            “No, don’t want to.”

            “Do it anyway.”

            I didn’t like being told what to do, but I was swept away by unconsciousness again.

            It was quiet when I woke up this time. When I opened my eyes, I was able to get them to focus enough to see that I was in Daren’s room and it was late at night since it was dark out. I turned my head. Daren was sleeping next to me, his arms holding me close as he had done every night since Halloween last year.

            My headache was still there, but it wasn’t nearly as bad as it was before and I wasn’t nearly as sore. When I tried to remember what happened, my head started to spin. The last thing that I could remember before wake up in the car was- I froze. Sara. Sara had come to kill me at my own wedding.

            I knew without a doubt that we hadn’t gotten married and I also knew that I had been possessed by the Ancestors again. The thought put a lump in my throat. I never wanted to be a witch, but having people control me whenever they wanted, beyond my control, was almost more than I could handle.

            Daren mumbled something in my sleep and pulled me closer. I thought that he said, relax and go to sleep, but I wasn’t sure. I honestly tried, but I couldn’t. I kept thinking about people in control of me when I wasn’t. Ten minutes later, I was still awake, staring unmoving at the wall. Daren groaned and shifted. “Why aren’t you sleeping?” he mumbled in a sleepy, mush.