Chapter 4

Names kept being called, And Jennie kept acting stranger day by day.

Sometimes, Chaeyoung would see Jennie staring at a tree for 10 whole minutes or sometimes, she would see Jennie fake smiling.

But nonetheless she waited till Jennie said so herself.

What perplexed Chaeyoung more was Jennie's reaction to being selected. She was pretty excited to apply, but after being chosen, her smile faded and she stared emotionlessly at the television while Chaeyoung endlessly congratulated her.

"So, 30 people have been chosen by now, leaving five more." Chaeyoung said, as she helped Jennie make popcorn for their movie night.

"And you're chosen, So I guess I'll apply to become a palace maid." Chaeyoung said sulking. Jennie gasped "Hey! don't say that! you could get chosen at the very end!" Jennie protested.

"Plus, I would love for Jimin, you and I to reunite. We'll be incomplete without you, love." Jennie said, taking the bowl of microwave popcorn out of the microwave.

"Aw thanks, love" Chaeyoung replied, side hugging Jennie. Jennie put one hand around her best friend's waist "Okay, you ready for movie night?"

"Hell yeah!"

***

Jennie and Chaeyoung were sharing a blanket, Chaeyoung's eyes were barely opened and Jennie was already half asleep. Their empty bowl of popcorn abandoned in the coffee table in front of them.

The movie suddenly changed. Chaeyoung was completely annoyed. 

"Now, today is a special day." Jiyong said, with no introductions whatsoever. "The final 5 are being revealed."

Jennie rolled her eyes "State the obvious, urgh." She also seemed very annoyed that the broadcast had ended her almost-slumber.

After a very long time, the Prince came forward to read out the names.

Chaeyoung rested her head on Jennie's shoulders and closed her eyes. She might as well sleep when there's a 0% chance of her being selected.

"Bae Joohyun, 19" At this point, there's no way I'll get chosen, Chaeyoung thought bitterly.

"Myoui Mina, 19"

"Hirai Momo, 18"

"Moon Byulyi, 19"

At this point, Chaeyoung had lost all hope. She was just going to take the empty bowl of popcorn to the sink—

"Park Chaeyoung, 18"

Jennie immediately got up. Chaeyoung dropped the bowl she was holding, which fell with a loud thud.

Chaeyoung's eyes were wide. Jennie broke into a gummy smile "You're chosen! Now we can go to the Palace together!" Jennie squealed.

Chaeyoung stayed paralyzed in her spot.

***

The past week was a complete blur, people kept visiting Chaeyoung's house and investigating her about herself.

Chaeyoung was surprisingly okay with it. None of the questions were too personal, yet. Chaeyoung wondered about how her best friend felt about it, Jennie told her about the interviews but she never told her how it felt.

"—So, Miss Park, Are you virgin?"

Chaeyoung spit out the orange juice she was drinking.

Mrs. Park who was standing by the side, immediately starting rubbing her daughters back. "How is this question relevant to the Selection?" She demanded

"It's compulsory to ask Ma'am" The interviewing man said, he looked like he was in his late twenties.

"Of course, I'm virgin." Chaeyoung said staring at the guy in disbelief.

What was the prince planning to do? Why did they need that information?

"That's all," The interviewer said, as he bowed to Chaeyoung and Mrs Park. Mrs. Park bowed back, Chaeyoung didn't bother.

"Why does he need that information?" Chaeyoung thought out loud, Mrs. Park shrugged. Chaeyoung sighed "I'm going over to Jennie and helping her pack. We're leaving in a week and she's already packing her walk-in closet in suitcases." She said as she walked towards the door.

"Be home soon!" Mrs. Park yelled out, "I will!"

***