Working Girl

True to his word billy drove her and Freya all the way to the diner across from the arcade without complaint. He even turned down the music so that Freya wouldn't cry. Something Arya greatly appreciated.

"I'll pick you up later if you need a ride" billy winked. Trying to keep his bad boy image.

"I should be fine but thank you. I mean it" arya said sincerely as she and her daughter got out of the car. He merely nodded before driving off at full speed. Music blaring louder as he drove out of the parking lot.

Arya sighed before opening the diner door to Granny's diner. Slumping her shoulders before plastering on a fake smile and starting her shift.

Her boss was a nice old woman that she called Granny even though she wasn't her grandmother. She was sweet and loved to shower Freya in attention. She told arya when she started working here that she could bring her baby with her and that she would take care of her in her office while she did the paperwork and arya worked the counter. Apparently she believed that all children were a blessing and should be cherished. She never gave her shade about being a teen mother , even telling off those who came in and commented on that fact.

Arya put baby Freya in a highchair behind the counter with some toys as she got to work. Pausing every five minutes to look back at her daughter to make sure she was okay.

The day started off slow with people walking in and out. Wanting coffee refills and food. Giving her the stink eye as the passed them. After a few hours no one new came to order so arya turned to face Freya with a bottle in hand. She carefully transferred the baby into her arms and starting feeding her the bottle , leaning against the counter to watch the register.

Mama's gotta work.

**********************************

"Since when do you care about others" max snarled at billy from the back seat ad they left the diner parking lot. Raising her voice as he turned up the volume on the radio. Blasting Rock you like a hurricane.

"You can't ignore me" max argued as he lit a cigarette. Losing his temper he pressed harder on the gas and picking up speed. Max gripped on to the passenger seat as billy made a sharp turn.

"BILLY SLOW DOWN" she screamed. Scared at how reckless he was being.

"THEN STAY OUT OF MY BUSINESS YOU LITTLE SHIT" Billy roared tearing his eyes off the road to look at her.

"And don't ask questions".

*********************************

Dinner at the hargrove house was always a tense situation. Mr hargrove being the prick that he was loved to use this time to shame billy. Max also dreaded dinner time with the yelling and fighting that usually followed. It was no wonder Billy was an asshole if he was treated like shit.

Susan hargrove on the other hand refused to let them miss dinner time. It was what a family does and she wanted the family to bond. Even if it never worked.

" so I've heard you've associated yourself with the town whore" he jeered at billy , taking another swig of his beer. "Guess that's the only action you can get you faggot".

" Neil" Susan tried to stop him but was ignored.

Billy clenched his fists and the way he father was acting. He felt his temper rising with every word that spewed out of his mouth. In the week they had been in this shithole he had learned a few things about Arya Hill from watching her. He saw how she was around people and how she moved away from men in particular and tensed is they so much as touched her arm. How she guarded herself around those she doesn't trust. But most off all he saw the way that she always put her baby first , no matter what. Though he may never admit it , that's what he admired about her most. How she tried to make it work as a single teen mother in a close minded shit hole like Hawkins.

"Whore probably could keep her legs shut for five minutes" the bastard across the table from him ranted. "I've heard she even got knocked up. God help that kid".

" she's not a whore" billy stated firmly without thinking. Locking eyes with his father. He could see the fury rising in his eyes at interrupting his rant.

"WHAT DID YOU SAY BOY" Neil hargrove shouted, slamming his beer on the table making them all flinch at what's to come. "ANSWER ME".

" she's not a whore. She's a good person" billy answered quietly.

"SPEAK UP YOU LITTLE SHIT" He antagonized.

"I said she not a whore, sir" billy said clearer. He didn't even get the chance to move before his father slammed him into the wall by his shirt collar. Making dishes clatter and fall to the floor. The girls looked at the table , wishing to be anywhere but there.

"NEVER TALK BACK TO ME , BOY" Neil roared before punching billy harshly in the eye. It was definitely gonna bruise. "Now apologize to everyone for ruining the evening".

" I'm sorry " billy apologized. He was shoved once more against the wall before being let go and told to fuck off.

Billy quickly ran out the door and to his car. Driving as far away from the house as possible. His lit a cigarette to calm his nerves behind the wheel. He could feel his stomach rumbling from hunger since he barely ate anything at the house. Making a quickly decision he swerved towards main street and in front of Granny's diner. He hoped it was still open this late at night as he slammed the door closed.

He walked in and the place was empty. He could hear the sound of pans and stuff from the kitchen.

"HELLO. Is anyone here" billy asked loudly. Walking towards the noise. Just as he reached out his hand the door flew open and a tired looking Arya stood in front of him and covered his mouth with her hand.

"Shhh. I just got Freya asleep in the back" she said removing her hand. He looked him up and down. Noticing his rumpled appearance along with the bruise forming around his eye. "What are you doing here anyway. We're closed".

" I'll go then" billy sighed. Not in the mood the try and flirt after the evening at home. He made for the door but she grabbed his arm last minute to stop him before quickly letting go.

"Y-you don't have to go" Arya offered quickly looking to the kitchen. "I was cooking spaghetti if you want some. I usually close up the place so its no problem".

" thanks " billy sighed following her into the kitchen and slumping into a chair. Watching her move around the kitchen and gland at Freya asleep in a make shift cot or a box filled with blankets. She handed him some ice for his eye to help. He took it without question. "Thanks" he said as she put a plate of spaghetti in front of him.

"Don't worry. Its the least I can do after you helping me today" Arya waved it off and the started to eat.

"So aren't you gonna ask" billy asked gesturing to his eyes. He was just waiting for her to start firing questions at him.

"You didn't ask about the baby. Why would I ask you about that. Talk if you want I don't mind" Arya answered.

That was the night Billy hargrove knew without question that he had a great respect for Arya Hill.

Since all it took was one nod ,silently agreeing to never speak of what happened to him that night.

After dinner he helped her close up the diner and offered her once again a ride home. Seeing that it was eleven at night she agreed. Giving him directions to her house. They sat in comfortable silence on the drive over. Both not needing to speak to feel comfortable.

"Thanks for the ride Billy" she said as he helped her open the front door and carry in the diaper bag. Not thinking to much about it she gave him a quick kiss on the cheek before he left.

Not knowing that she had sent him home smiling.