Chapter 23

I spent the night alone in the darkness of my room. Each of the boys made their attempt to get me out of the room. But I couldn't bare to face any of them, my head was still spinning after the kiss. I had made progress getting over him and it was as if  could feel it all unravel again, it was slipping through my fingers. Rage and sadness both boiled inside my chest. 

 There was nothing I could do. I knew I could see him now at least without falling apart, I just couldn't speak to him. Because I knew if I did, he would be able to talk me into falling in love. I couldn't do that to myself. I simply couldn't let it happen. I was still in love with him, there was no use denying it. The kiss had reopened the floodgates of my emotions for him, the love, the lust, the care. I couldn't put myself through it again, all of it just for him to hurt me.

 As the thoughts were swirling around my brain I rolled out of my bed and slowly pulled the blind open. A beautiful sunrise appeared, glinting over the soft rolling hills in the far distance. I took a minute recollecting myself and letting a deep breath run deeply through my beating chest. The sun glinted teasingly at me, letting my know a new day beckoned me. I slipped on a soft yellow jumper over my pink, silky nightdress and slowly slid the lock of my door to one side. I turned the knob of the handle hearing a faint clicking sound, peeking out in to the vast hall. It was empty. Plates and glasses pilled with food and drinks lay strewn across the carpet in front on me. Late last night the boys had tried to coax me out of my room, confused to why I had left so abruptly. None of them mentioned a kiss, so I was guessing Roger hadn't told them anything. 

I slipped out of the door and tiptoed along the floorboards tentatively unsure of which ones would squeak under my weight. I knew it was early from the fact the sun was just rising, that meant I was in desperate need of coffee. I crept down the stairs trying to make as little noise as possible, though the old farm house made that rather difficult. Between the loud doors creaking and the thick stone walls carrying every single ounce of sound I was scared I was going to wake up the entire house. I opened the broad oak door to the kitchen, it let out a dramatic squeal. I winced and tiptoed through. I shut the door behind me as slowly as possible to avoid any form of noise. I assumed everyone would still be asleep

"Morning Evie" I yelped and jumped nearly a foot in the air when I noticed Deaky sitting at the table with a steaming cup of coffee sitting before him. I watched the steam curl gently as he blew the the trail away before taking a grateful sip. 

"Morning John. Didn't see you there"

"Really? I couldn't tell" He replied sarcastically, a smile tugging at his lips. I made my way over to the fresh pot of coffee John had just made and poured myself a generous amount. 

"Why are you up so early anyway?" I said walking over to the table, nestling my mug in my hands. 

"I needed to speak to Holly. She had a really important job interview today" he smiled happily as her name fell off his lips. 

"I really miss her Evie" he paused thinking "I think I am going to ask her to marry me" I choked a little on my coffee

"Wow John that's amazing. Really amazing, I am so happy for you!"

"Thank you Evie. I really, really love her" He looked at me again "I know Roger still loves you Evie. He is still very, very hung up on you" he smiled sadly 

"Roger won't tell us anything about what happened between you two. You can probably see it's effecting his work, I mean he wrote a song about a car. I think you guys need to talk" John said 

"He hurt me John. He really hurt me" I said sadly 

"Have you given him a chance to try and explain? To make it right?" he exclaimed before taking another sip of the steaming mug in his grasp