forty nine - bad news

Ethan

"So the medication should start kicking in within a couple minutes, so just relax and let them run their course," Jasmine's nurse speaks so very nicely to her as she changes her bandages on her stomach. "You might feel a bit sick or even light headed, but that pretty normal." She adds on, lightly pulling down her gown over her stomach. 

I saw her gunshot wounds as she cleaned her up, and I can truly say the doctors did an exceptional job at patching and stitching her up. She's very bruised, and extremely swollen, but overall she looks as if she's healing up pretty well. 

I can also tell she's in a lot of pain. It's clear as day, though being her she tries to hide it with every move she so happens to make. She even tried to hide the fact that she was in pain when the nurse was cleaning her wounds.

Once the nurse was all finished bandaging my baby back up, she finally left us to be alone. Then again, nothing but pure silence lingers between Jasmine and I.

In fact, it only grew more as the seconds ticked away on the wall clock inside of the room. It was terribly awkward, and I'm not sure why there was a sudden uneasiness surrounding the both of us.

Have I done something wrong? Did I disappoint her? Does she not trust me anymore for letting this happen to her? Those very questions swirl around my head, along with others. 

"Baby?" I call her name, deciding I should talk this out with her.

"Yes." She answers me in a whisper, during which she turns her head from staring at the wall to look at me expectantly. 

"Can we talk? I don't really like the silence between us." Admitting to my dislike for our silence towards one another, I scoot up my chair I'm sitting in closer to her bed. I want to be eye level with her.

"Yes. I don't like it either." She avoids eye contact with me, still speaking in a whisper.

"Did either the doctors or nurses do a rape kit on you? I had requested they do one." I begin my speaking with a concerning question, that has been bothering me since we were taken by that asshole and his crew.

"Yes, a nurse did. I wasn't raped as I told you before. If you don't believe me, my copy is in that hospital bag over there." She points to a plastic hospital bag filled with paperwork on the couch in her room. 

"I believe you, I'll just double check it later," I respond softly, taking ahold of one of her hands in my own. "Baby I love you so much. Do you know that? Do you know how much I love you, Jasmine?" My eyes are locked with hers the whole entire time I speak to her; wanting her to know I'm being serious. 

"Yes, I know." Her voice is not much in a whisper any more, but it is soft and low.

"Yeah? Well why did you make the decision to keep me from knowing anything about your condition... or your status? That hurt me, Jas. Everyone was keeping quiet, all because you didn't want anyone to tell me anything. Why? Did I disappoint you? Have I not been good to you? What is it?" I don't mean to come off as demanding or urging, I just want to know why she felt the need to keep her wellbeing secret from me. 

"I-I didn't want you to see me like this– at my w-worse. I still don't want you to, but I guess that's changed now." I notice the short amount of time she responds to me, she holds her head down not giving me eye contact. She even had a few stutters in her wording. She's so lying to me.

"Why are you lying? Be real with me, Jas. What's up? Do you regret going back in that mansion with me? Do you blame me for what happened to us?" I question further, feeling tears prickling at the corners of my eyes.