Part 6

After the dinner party incident, Steve Rogers had Maria Hill bring Sam and me to a safe house protected by SHIELD. We just picked up Sam at our house and headed to who knows where. When we get there, it was a small house in the middle of nowhere.
"If something happens, there is a bunker under the building. Just move the bookcase to get to the door." Agent Hill said to us.
Sam and I looked at each other confused.
"You're just gonna leave us here?" I asked a little pissed off.
"Well ya, but Agents are gonna do check in's every hour." She said back, reaching across us and opening the car door.
"We should have just stayed home," Sam said not getting out of the car.
"Come on guys it's not that bad," Hill said.
"Take us back home. We can protect ourselves there. At least we will be able to know they are coming there." Sam said angrily.
"Steve's not gonna be happy about this," Hill said to me.
"Home." That was all I said as I closed the car door and sat up straight in the car chair looking forward.
Hill let out a sigh as she told the driver what to do. When we got back home, Sam went to the basement and set up the beds we left down there. We used to sleep down in the basement after we came back from our tours overseas. The hard cold floor of the basement was what we were used to sleeping on overseas and help us get back into the swing of normal life. We both agreed to sleep in the basement just in case. I went upstairs to my room and grabbed my weapons. Downstairs I could hear Sam placing his stuff down on the kitchen table. I made my way downstairs with my things to meet Sam.
"How mad do you think Rogers is gonna beat you!" Sam asked as I entered the room.
"Who knows, but I was not staying in the safe house shack. We may be out of our league with these robot things but I'd rather be somewhere I'm familiar with if  an attack comes." I said placing my stuff on the table next to his.
"Out of our league? This is in my league." Sam said with that stupid cocky smile.
"Can't fly yourself out of this one."
"Oh, nice burn. I'll get you back for that." Sam said back. There was a short silence before Sam spoke again.
"I know that some of your old missions involved taking out threats that tried to make their own iron man suit. Did you fight any robot men like Stark?"
"No. We were there to take them out before they did but no one ever came close. So many ruthless kills when those scientists were never even a threat or even close to making what stark made." I said letting out a long sigh before we both fell back into the comfortable silence.
It has been over an hour. Sam and I sat on the couch watching the news. The Avengers have gone underground according to the news anchor and are nowhere to be found. I started to get worried about Steve. Sam ended up falling asleep on the couch as I stayed up watching the news. My phone in the other room started to ring. I got up quickly and ran to it picking it up.
"Hello?" I quickly spoke into the phone without checking who it was.
"Hayes! Are you guys ok?" Steve asked
"I'm ok. Sam is too." I said sitting down on the bar stool in the kitchen.
"How's the safe house?" Steve said. I could hear people in the background
"About that. You had to see this place, Sam and I were not going to stay in that shack. We were better off in our own house. The place was in the middle of nowhere, at least here we are close to the Capitol so we could have warnings and backup maybe. Plus we know this place so if an attack comes we can handle it. We know where to go in this safe house." I said nervously, waiting for him to start yelling.
He let out a big sigh.
"I knew this was going to happen. I know you guys too well, especially you."
"You're not mad?" I asked.
"Well I am mad, but I know you guys can handle yourselves."
"Where are you? I'm watching the news and.."
"At Clint's house. His family took us in while we try and figure this out."
"Clint has a family?"
"Ya. No one knows, well now we do. They are protected by SHIELD."
We both went quiet for a while, just listening to each other breathe.
"Come home soon," I said softly.
"Always." He said back.
I then hung up. I held the phone in my hands as I sat on the barstool.
"Everything ok?" Sam asked in the doorway.
"Ya, I'm ok," I said with a big sigh.
"Good cause something is outside."
I shot up from my chair and looked in the direction of the front door. I looked back at Sam as we both ran to the kitchen table and grabbed our weapons. All of a sudden we heard a robot voice. I looked at Sam and grabbed my guns, placing them in my belt loops, and also grabbed my two electric sticks. Sam ran to the front door as I walked swinging my sticks around.