3

A/N: what a cutie!! Also here's a longer chapter because of "time management"

After what felt like 20 minutes of running, we finally started to slow down, both of us out of breath.  I turn to Sean
"Where are we even going, where is there to go?"

" Puerto Lobos, Mexico. My dad owns-" he looks down "owned property there."
He dazes out as we start to walk down the empty road and looks to me.

"I still want you to go home, you have your family there, they will miss you. It's not safe. Please, before Daniel wakes up." He points the the still out cold child in my arms.

"I'm sorry Sean." I feel my eyes start to water. I hold Daniel tighter. "I can't leave you guys alone out here, I don't what I can do to help you yet. But I know I won't let you guys do this alone, I won't let you do this alone Sean." I look him in the eyes. God. I can't imagine what he's feeling right now.

It's then I feel Daniel start to move on his own, I look and see his shocked face stare back up at me. I set him down.

He looks around at the road and the forest surrounding us, rightly confused. "Where are we?"

I look at Sean. Sean looks at me. Shit.
Daniel's eyes switch from Sean to me, wanting for an answer.

Then I see Sean's eyes light up slightly as his eyebrows raise. "We are going to see dad."
Oh no.

"Where is he?" Daniel looks directly at me and I feel awful, as he has no idea that his dad was shot not that long ago.

I swallow the now very viscous spit in my mouth. "He's uh-" My voice wobbles. "Well... we'll tell you when we're there."

He looks at me weirdly. "...Okay..."
"Wait, why are you here?" Tilting his head ever so slightly, like a dog who doesn't understand your command.

"She's  here for the adventure!" Sean says paired with a convincing grin and playful shove of the shoulder.

But apparently, that's all Daniel needed, as he's leading the pack  in no time, imaginary staff in hand, saying how similar he is to a range of different superheroes.

Walking for what must've been an hour, but felt like days, the sun almost starting to set, causing the temperature to drop slightly, I shiver and my hands start to

I look around at the woods that surround us on either side of the road.

"Can we stop here?" I look at Sean, he shrugs his shoulders. He look ten times more exhausted then me. His eyes were bloodshot and bags were settled underneath them.

I turn to Daniel with a big (and undeniably fake) smile on my face.

"Hey Daniel, wanna help me set up camp?"

A fast excited nod reassures me while we get deeper into forest that all but surrounded the road.
Setting up what you might call camp, but in actuality blankets next to a log, we all huddle around the fire that we managed from sticks, leaves and a little help from Sean's lighter.

We all huddled close to the fire, me using one of the blankets to wrap around myself. Looking at Daniel, he was shivering as much as I am. I shrug.

"Daniel, wanna share the blanket?" I open one of my arms, blanket clinging to it. Making my arm look like a bat wing. This causes him to shake his head with a hard look in his eyes, arms crossed. Me and Sean share a look. We know he's cold, but he seems content with playing the tough guy persona at the moment.

Though it only took less than five minutes for Daniel to give in and curl into my side when the wind started to lightly blow.
"Not so bad huh buddy?" I side hug him from inside the blanket, only to see he's fast asleep.

I pick Daniel up in my arms and start to carry him over to the blanket that we were going to sleep on, only to hear quick
"Wait!" As Sean takes his brother from my arms, causing me to blush in surprise.

"You've done a lot for me today, let me do this." He says as he tucks his brother in.

I sit back down, still slightly shocked at his slight outburst, combined with my own exhaustion. And now cold, as Daniel is using the blanket I had. Sean takes a seat next to me. By the now dimming fire, casting a light glow on our faces, and a somewhat comfortable silence ensues, interrupted only by my newly found shivering in the cold.

Maybe it was the silence that found me thinking about my family. Sadie and of course, Ian. Am I ever going to see them again, will I be able to watch him grow up as I planned? Tears start to roll down my cheeks and light sobs start to form.

That's when I smushed into Sean's side, his chin resting atop my head, arms loosely around my side. I hug back tighter, tears flowing freely and adsorbing into his sweatshirt.

I mumble into him "I miss them too much already."

"Me too."