2: Killer

Art: Eternity by Henry Asencio

After leaving the Earth Kingdom military base we had some traveling ahead of us to reach Omashu. Our travels were not simple but when were they ever. To the great aggravation of both Sokka and I, we came across a merry band of nomads. I could smell the intoxication coming off of them in waves and found myself grateful for my siblings' general innocence and ignorance to what it was and that they didn't ask too many questions – however, I'm pretty sure Sokka figured it out one of the times the leader, Chong, got a little too close and breathed in his face.

We would have been happy to leave them behind but a Fire Nation blockade over the mountain pass forced us to return. Together, we attempted to navigate a tunnel through the mountains. There were some complications. A rockslide split us from Aang, Katara, and Appa, leaving Sokka and me alone with the nomads.

Sokka developed a red mark on his forehead from slapping it every time someone said something stupid. It was likely a good thing that I'd left my water pouches on Appa otherwise I would have smacked someone with the water by now. It was really only my unfamiliarity with my new bow which kept from using it on them. I didn't want to risk causing any mortal injuries - mild maiming sounded lovely though.

However, I did consider using it anyway when they began to bring up the tale of the cave once more. According to a vague song and a few comments from the nomads, it had been created by a couple from rival towns who used the tunnels to meet one another in secret. It sounded like a fairytale. Even if it was true, I couldn't imagine it had ended well. Enemies don't make good couples. There would always be a mountain in the way that was too hard to climb. Love wasn't just some magic cure-all, no matter what some legends said.

I was clearly the only one who held this belief, at least among my current company. The nomads certainly weren't as pessimistic. "Maybe if love is the key to get out, we should talk about love," Chong suggested.

A cool wave ran over my shoulders as I glanced over at my already frustrated brother. He didn't speak up and I knew not to when it came to this topic. Instead, Chong and his wife, Lily, began to gush about each other before the other nomads began to daze about their own love affairs.

"What about you, Sokka?" Chong urged, looking at the fuming boy. "Any lovely ladies - or lads?"

I straightened before I even saw the falling look on Sokka's face. "I don't wanna talk about it."

"It's okay if you haven't been with anyone yet," Moku said serenely. He patted Sokka's shoulder. "Some flowers bloom late."

Sokka jumped away, his eyes alight with rage while his cheeks budded with pink. "I've had a girlfriend before!"

The nomads perked you. "Tell us about her," Lily chirped.

I opened my mouth, prepared to save my brother the pain of reopening this fresh wound but he beat me to it. "She was beautiful." I studied Sokka's expression. The frustration had vanished to be replaced by the softest expression I had ever seen on him. My brother was very expressive. He was never afraid to be a goof or show his frustration but it was rare to see true sadness on his face, especially this bittersweetness - warriors were taught not to show weakness.