6: Change

Art: Artist Not Found

After some convincing, we left the smoldering town behind. Zuko had to do most of the work to move Iroh, my weariness catching up with me quickly; but, with a little bit of waterbending, I did help to at least get the man slug over Zuko's ostrich-horse.

We started to travel but it became apparent that neither of us was up for going far. A small, disintegrating house on the outside of town would have to be an acceptable shelter for the time being.

I'd fallen asleep almost the second we got Iroh off of the ostrich and into the house. I couldn't remember the last time I'd slept that soundly but that was likely what happened when my worry for Zuko's and Iroh's wellbeing didn't wake me up in the middle of the night anymore.

When I did finally wake up the next morning, I found that I was the only one with this newfound comfort. The feeling of being watched was what stirred me. I pulled open my eyes just enough to peek through my lashes. My heart began to pound as my mind eventually deciphered the figure across the room from me. Though he wore a long-expression, I couldn't help but be happy to see his face no matter the emotion on it. It was Zuko. I was with Zuko again.

How I ended up with him took several minutes to remember. My brain was still trying to figure out what was real and what wasn't. Finding Zuko in the field hadn't been real but staying with him and Iroh after fighting Azula was, and that was good enough.

He was watching me. I kept up the sleeping farce, not wanting to risk him covering up his emotions once he realized I was awake. After a few seconds, his eyes flickered away to where Iroh laid.

With his attention off of me, I opened my eyes just a little more and studied him. I spotted the dark bags under his eyes and wondered if he'd slept at all. He sat in the corner of the room, his knees up to his chest with his arms wrapped around his legs. He looked like a scared child who knew he'd done something wrong and was waiting for his punishment. He lowered his head, dropping his chin onto his knees and the shift caused the sunlight to glint off the tears welling in his eyes. It was finally too much for me.

"Zuko?"

He instantly sat back again and started to release his tight pose. I was pushing myself up before he could fully try to shake it all off. I scrambled over to him, instantly throwing my arms around his shoulders.

He stiffened. Then I felt his hands attempt to push me away although with notably very little force. I tightened my hold, cradling his head in my arms. I could feel his cold ear against my cheek and I began to hum some reassurance, "It's okay. We're okay." I repeated these words over and over again between gentle shushes.

His tight body gradually loosened. His hands stopped pushing me away and instead began to twist into the material of my tunic. I knelt between his legs, feeling as his whole body trembled around me. We sat like that for ages.

He never spoke or explained but I didn't push him to do so. I simply held him and waited for him to say – or not say – whatever he wanted whenever he wanted to do so. He had done the same for me before. The least I could do was return the favor.