9: Clean Hands

Art: Artist Not Found

Ba Sing Se was certainly a sight to behold. The only civilization I had ever seen which could remotely compare was the Northern Water Tribe and their population would have easily fit in the inner ring alone.

The divide between the three different rings was also a bit shocking. Iroh explained to us the class difference between each set of walls. Before taking siege of the place, he had done plenty of research and appeared to be just as knowledgeable as any local.

"And they say we're classist," Zuko grumbled after hearing this. "At least we don't put up walls."

Zuko was right. Just like with sexism in the Water Tribes, the Fire Nation was relative more progressive when it came to the class system than the Earth Kingdom. They weren't perfect. There was still a clear difference between nobles and peasants but everyone had the same rights. That didn't seem to be the same case here.

Nevertheless, this was as good as it was going to get for us. At the very least, we were safe from the war here. That was enough.

Zuko and I walked side-by-side through the lower ring. Iroh has vanished from our side moments ago near a flower shop. I wasn't sure if Zuko hadn't seen him stop or if he just didn't care - the latter was the more probable choice.

"Stop pouting," I urged him. He'd been sullen ever since we'd stepped off the train. I hugged his arm and gave it a little tug, hoping to lighten him up. "It could be worse."

"I don't see how," he grumbled.

"Azula," was all I had to say before he nodded in agreement.

"I see your point."

Iroh reappeared on Zuko's other side, finally catching up with us again. Zuko gave him a cold glare, most likely due to the large vase with several orange flowers the man was now carrying.

"I just want our place to look nice," Iroh explained, "in case one of you brings home a friend." He stuck his nose up in the air then, refusing to look at either of us. "Since you two obviously don't know how to appreciate each other!" He popped open one eye to look at his nephew and then me for our reaction.

My jaw dropped. I couldn't believe he'd actually gone there. I let go of Zuko and ran a hand through my hair, snapping my gaze away. I knew my face was as red as a tomato so I wasn't willing to check how Zuko reacted - whatever his reaction was it would only make me redder.

"This city is a prison," Zuko huffed but I could hear the fluster in his voice. "I don't want to make a life here."

"Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not," Iroh spoke wisely. Nonetheless, I still wanted to kick the flower pot out of his hand. "Now come on, I found us some new jobs, and we start this afternoon!"

***

"A tea shop," I sighed, "why am I not surprised."