15: Crystal Chamber

Art: Windstorms by Roberta Heslop

The pain in my knees as they came in contact with the metal ground barely registered. I barely kept my face from hitting the floor, the restraints on my wrists making it hard to find my balance. I looked up through my hair, most of which had fallen loose of the tie and fell into my face. I could only make out loose figures in front of me but the conical hats and long robes were familiar enough to know they were Dai Li.

"You're making a mistake putting me in here," I hissed.

"Shut up, you aren't getting out of here," one of the agents spoke. "There isn't any water for you to bend here."

I knew he was right. I hadn't put up much of a fight getting in here primarily because I'd been trying to feel for any water that I could control. They had been careful though. We had walked longer than I would have suspected and I assumed they had taken the best route to avoid as much water as possible such as the kitchen or washrooms.

I couldn't feel anything in the prison hold either. The only thing I could feel was their steady hearts. They were so certain of themselves. Taking my sister from me didn't bother them in the slightest. If they were smart, they'd be running.

At least I had assumed they were smart. That was the only respect I gave to them. Whose genius decision was it to listen to the princess of the Fire Nation though? It didn't seem like a choice Long Feng would make.

"Why are you taking orders from Princess Azula?" I questioned before they could leave. "Where is Long Feng?"

"The Avatar and his friends got him arrested for treason," one answered. "Fire Princess Azula has taken control. Personally, I think she's a far better leader."

"You do realize that the Fire Nation only wants to take control of Ba Sing Se which means wiping out all earthbenders," I hissed. "If you help her, you're only helping your own demise."

"Actually, Princess Azula likes our strategies," said his companion. "I think she'd find a place for us in whatever the Fire Nation has planned."

I rolled my eyes. "You may be great earthbenders, but you're far too gullible."

"And yet you're the one in the cell, and we're free." They stepped out of the cell. One made a hand motion and I was freed of my restraints, the stones returning to glove form and fitting onto his hands.

They were pulling the door shut before I could get off my knees. In a useless act of rage, I threw myself at the door. My body rang loud and hard against the metal. The hollow sound echoed through the hall but neither men flinched.

I locked eyes with the one who'd spoken the most. He bore the same apathetic expression all of the Dai Li had on but something was flickering in his eyes. He was taking pleasure in this.

A noise that was almost animal-like ripped out of my throat as I rammed my hand against the door once more. "You are going to regret this," my voice was not mine, it sounded like gravel under cavalry foot.