The Hidden Exit

"Where were you?"

He just held up the plushie hoping that would make up for it. Lorelei reached down for it and his dad quickly gave it to her.

"Basil we were worried sick!"

He hated making his mother worry but she was in no position to tell him this.

"When you were my age you went out on adventures. Why am I not aloud to?"

"Because you don't tell us where you'll be."

He sighed. "How long am I grounded for?"

His heart dropped. "One week." He would have to sneak out to fulfill his payment. 

"Alright." His parents left his room, setting his sister down on her bed.

He stayed on the floor for a while, it wasn't comfy but he didn't feel like moving. How was he supposed to sneak after his parents clearly saw him come in through the window, he couldn't just walk out the door! His sister laughed.

She shouldn't have been anywhere near his sword! He got in trouble because of her! He... wait, where was she?

She was nowhere in the room, and it didn't have much to hide behind or in.  He opened every drawer and frantically searched the room. She was still laughing, was she laughing at him?

He started pacing, well rolling, around the room, checking everywhere he could.

Come on Basil! How hard is it to find a-

He fell forward, just barely landing on his face.

"What?"

One of the floor's tiles was uplifted. It took a lot of his strength to pry it out of the ground and set it aside. Below was a bottomless pit. On a beam just about a person's height away crawled Lorelei.

"Lorie!" He jumped down without hezatation and scooped her up. "Don't scare me like that! I'm already a screw up, I wouldn't be surprised if Mom and Dad killed me if you went missing."

She just stared at him.

  "Great, now I'm talking to a baby."

There was no way he could reach up to where he had come down, being far too short for his age. His only option was down.