prologue

PROLOGUE

0. the disappearance of vanessa rogers

 the disappearance of vanessa rogers

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one."

- C.S Lewis

Music fills the air without effort, like the waves filling holes in beach sand; the sound rushing in and around every person in the room. Some react to the beat, others continue in chatter, but always it speaks to them in some manner. A lively tempo can lift them, elevate the spirit, or move them to dance, whilst a slow one can relax the mood. Before the notes filled the air every person was an island, with it they all feel the same tidal flows and the beginnings of togetherness feels warm.

Ronald Lee sat at one of the tables, steadily drinking a drink his father had given him that he couldn't remember the name of - though he did know it was alcoholic and he wasn't old enough to drink it. He was happy to see his cousin get everything she ever wanted, to be free of her betrothal and get her happily ever after with Edmund Pevensie in both worlds - though she was never to visit Narnia again which settled a frown onto his face.

Upon looking at the newlywed couple dancing together he couldn't help but think of how miserable his love life really was, especially with the added disadvantage that he attracted females more than the males he sought after in the first place. It didn't help all those months he spent on the Dawn Treader building a friendship with the dashing Eustace - a boy who despite originally being unnaturally sour and spoilt had managed to catch his interest and his heart over a few conversations and duels on the ship. But he was pretty sure it would never happen with the boy he now called his best friend.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Somebody asked and Ron finally looked up from the glass and sighed as he put his glass to the table with a thud, a small smile lighting on his face at the sight of his father who sat down across from his. "Give me a scotch, I'm starving."