To My Dear Untamed Friend 01

The following responses are dedicated to indelwen-of-mirkwood, lilith15000, beaulahmae (from tumblr), and a lady who sent a response via email: character name Gabrielle.

My Dear Untamed Friend,

I am both humbled and confused by your response. Not because of what you said, but because I am unsure what would be the appropriate way to respond to you.

I know you are young, even for your people, but you are grown, and if you were an elf you would undoubtedly be already bound to another by now. Such is he way of our courtships.

Yes, we usually love only once, and it lasts even after the passing of our loved one, except under certain circumstances. These circumstances have occurred for me, therefore, freeing my heart to love another. I would love to explain this to you in more detail. However, unless I know I may do so without your guilt of receiving what letters I write to you, even in friendship, I do not wish to continue.

I do not regret telling you my feelings... I regret only my past words that you have heard me say of your kind. Man is indeed foolish, and overly impulsive (I believe is what I said), but also brave, considerate and loyal, and I dare to mention, are the only other beings in Arda to love as fiercely as we. I have learned this over the years, especially after the War of the Ring and the New Age of Middle Earth beginning. Perhaps through friendship we may understand one another better?My kind are leaving these shores, but yet I remain, and ever I will. If age is the thing that stops you then I will wait until you believe you are old enough in your mind to accept my advances. If it is because you are of the race of men, as I stated above, I have found the goodness in man, and a newfound respect, and love for them as a whole. You would never need feel ashamed of that birthright, but honored by it.

If it is my former queen's shadow or even reincarnation you fear, do not. She has passed on, and will not return, even in the Undying Lands, while my fate, whatever it may be, remains here. My queen, beautiful and regal as she was, is gone and at peace. As for me, I would not expect you to be like her. I would not expect you to be anything but yourself, and I have never compared you to her. I never will.

As you asked, I have indeed searched my feelings again and again before replying to you. My sentiments are unchanged though saddened that you do not feel you may accept them. However, if even for the sake of knowing you and not being cut off, and simply speaking with you and hopefully having your company at times, I will speak no more of them.

Friendship is what you accept, and therefore I will offer it, and settle for it. It is well enough. I hope you will reply, and I have not put you off even that.

With kindest regards and hopes,

Thranduil