Chapter Eight

The shore was now merely feet away, so Bard jumped from the boat and into the water. He pulled the boat onto land, then helped me from the boat. My ankle felt a lot better, but it still hurt when I put pressure on it, so Bard had to help me walk to what seemed to be a camp made by the townsfolk.

Rieka and Bain trailed behind us as we made our way to the center of the camp. A woman was handed out dry clothing and blankets to the refugees, spreading a kind word when needed. A greasy, black haired man came up to her and demanded one. I immediately took a dislike to the man from the way he treated the woman with disrespect.

"Oh, find your own! You're not in charge now, Alfrid Lickspittle," the woman was saying.

"That is where you are wrong. In the absence of the Master the powers seethes to his deputy, which in this instance is my good self. Now give me that blanket!" The greasy little man tried to take a blanket from the woman, but she would have none of it.

"Master's Deputy? Don't make me laugh. You're a sneak thief, more like. I'll be dead before I answer to the likes of you." The woman tried to rip the blanket out of Alfrid's hands, but failed.

"If you'll excuse me," Bard said, seating me on Rieka so he could deal with Alfrid.

"By all means." I smirked. I was starting to greatly respect this man. First, he slayed a dragon, and now he was dealing with a slimy worm that was mistreating a woman.

"Maybe that can be arranged." Alfrid raised his hand to strike the women, but Bard stopped him.

"I wouldn't go turning on your own, Alfrid. Not now," Bard suggested, letting go of Alfrid with a little push. Bain stuck out his leg and Alfrid tripped over it, falling to the ground.

"Da!" The voice of a young girl shouted. Two girls, both with brown hair and blue eyes, ran up with bright smiles on their faces.

"Come here," Bard cheered happily. The younger girl jumped into his arms, then is lifted up by the strong man.

"You're alive!" The older girl came and gave Bard a hug, while he draped his arm around her.

It occurred to me that the two girls must have been his daughters. There didn't appear to be a mother, though. She must have died years prior.

"It's alright," Bard said, smiling down at the older daughter.

The other townsfolk watched the family's happy reunion, wonder on some of their faces as they stared at Bard. I suspected many of them had seen him take down the dragon.

One of the men decided to speak up then, "It was Bard! He killed the dragon! I saw it with me own eyes. He brought the beast down. Struck him dead with a Black Arrow!"

Many of the people gasped in shock, then they started to cheer for the bravery of the man. They gathered around Bard and his family, trapping them in a circle. I couldn't see what was going from over here, so I urged Rieka forward into the crowd.

"You've saved us all, bless you," one village exclaimed. I chuckled lightly and stroked Rieka's fur as she carried me forward. She didn't usually enjoy being ridden, but she understood that there was no way I could walk on my own currently.

When the villagers in the back noticed me, they cleared a wide path for us to pass. They stared at Rieka wearily, not sure if she would attack or not. Their stares focused on me just as much. An elf riding a warg? How very strange.

Because of the wide berth the villargers gave us, we quickly reached a point where I could see. Alfrid, the greasy old worm, was holding Bard's arm aloft, but Bard quickly pulled himself out of the weaker man's grip.