Chapter Nineteen

"Thorin, no!" I scrambled down from my perch on top of the rock; I may not particularly like his recent actions, but he did not deserve to die.

As I leaped the last few feet to the ground, I saw Thorin take his own blade and stab the orc in the chest. When I arrived, I pushed Azog off of Thorin before he could be crushed under the weight.

Thorin shakily got up, and I briefly hoped he would be okay before I spotted the wound in the center of his stomach.

"Oh, Thorin," I whispered, but he ignored me and instead marched to the edge of the waterfall to watch the eagles soar over the land, their work done. I didn't say anything as I came to stand next to him. A breeze blew through from the beats of an eagles wings as it sailed past us, following it's kin.

"It is a beautiful land," Thorin suddenly spoke up, his breathes heavy and his words quietly whispered, "It is a shame I will never be king over it."

Before I could say anything, he collapsed in a heap. Shocked, I kneeled next to him and held his hand as he stared into the wide sky above us.

"You would have made a great king," I whispered to his dying form.

"I do not think so," Thorin gasped, his eyes starting to go vacant. The soft tap of bare feet on ice came towards us and I saw Bilbo running towards us.

"You will die for your people, Thorin. There is no greater gift you can give them." I stood up as Bilbo kneeled at Thorin's side, clear panic written across his face.

"Bilbo," Thorin gasped out.

"No, don't look. Don't move. Lie still." Bilbo noticed the wound in Thorin's stomach and his face turned grave. "Oh."

"I'm glad you're here..."

"Shh, shh, shh," Bilbo pleaded with him.

"I wish to part with you in friendship," Thorin continued.

"No, you are not going anywhere, Thorin, you're going to live." Bilbo turned to me, his eyes pleading. "Isn't there something you can do? Anything?"

I shook my head solemnly. "I'm afraid not, Mr. Baggins."

"But, but you're an elf! You have magic, you can heal!" He shouted. I gave him a pitying look and kneeled next to him.

"Even Lord Elrond would not be able to save him from this death. I truly am sorry, Mr. Baggins, but he will die." I placed my hand on his shoulder in comfort. The feeling of losing someone you cared about was all too familiar to me, and I did not wish the pain upon Bilbo, but I could not stop Thorin's death.

"I would take back my words and my deeds at the gate," Thorin gasped out with great effort. "You did what only a true friend would do. Forgive me. I was too blind to see. I am so sorry that I have led you into such peril."

"No, I'm-I'm glad to have shared in your perils, Thorin." Bilbo grasped onto Thorin's hand. "Each and every one of them. It is far more than any Baggins deserves."

"Farewell, Master Burglar," the dwarf said with a smile, "Go back to your books and your armchair. Plant your trees, watch them grow. If more people valued home above gold, this world would be a merrier place."

With that, Thorin takes his final breath, his eyes still on his friend.

I look away as Bilbo pleads with him, "No! No, no, no, no! No! Thorin! Thorin, don't you dare..."

At the last moment, Thorin turns his eyes towards the heavens, finally joining his father, and his grandfather, and all the line of Durin before him.