Chapter Fourteen

"I am sure Bilbo has had a long trek," I said, breaking the silence. "Come along, Master Baggins, let us find a place for you to rest." I lead the hobbit out of the tent and I could hear Gandalf following. He must have something to say to the hobbit, maybe something he did not want Thranduil or Bard to hear.

"Rest up tonight. You must leave on the morrow," Gandalf told the hobbit as we walked through the city.

"What?" Bilbo asked, pausing in his steps.

"You need to get as far away from here as possible," I sighed, knowing Gandalf was right. Bilbo could not stay once Thorin learns that Bilbo gave them the Arkenstone.

"I-I'm not leaving," the hobbit said bravely. Gandalf frowned but let Bilbo countinue. "You picked me as the 14th man. I'm not about to leave the company now."

"There is no company, not anymore," Gandalf interjected, "And I don't like to think what Thorin will do when he finds out what you've done."

"I'm not afraid of Thorin."

"Well, you should be," I spoke up, interrupting their argument. "Don't underestimate the evil of gold. I have seen the best of men gone sour because of their lust for gold."

"Listen to Lady Farren. The gold that Thorin now has is gold over which a serpent has long brooded. Dragon-sickness seeps into the hearts of all who come near this mountain." Gandalf looked down at the hobbit, then added, "Almost all."

He looked up again, into he sea of people that were in Dale. "You there!" Gandalf called to a passing man, who happened to be Alfrid, "Find this hobbit a bed and fill his belly with hot food. He's earned it."

Alfrid looked as though he wasn't going to follow the order, but I gave him a pointed look. Grumpily, he sulked up to us to lead Bilbo off. Gandalf grabbed his arm as he paced and said to him in a low voice, "Keep an eye on him. If he should try to leave, you tell me."

Alfrid glared at him, then countinued on his way, shouting "Move it!" at Bilbo and muttering "Stupid hobbit," to himself. I narrowed my eyes at the man and pierced my lips. I could already tell this wouldn't end well.

Gandalf stared after them with concern in his eyes. He felt he same way as I, but he was too weary to think anymore of it. I put my hand on his shoulder, directing his attention to me.

"You need to rest as well, Mithrandir. I can tell you have not rested in a while, and even an elf would start to feel tired after so long," I told him in a gentle tone.

"Indeed. Tomorrow, we ride to confront Thorin, and I do not believe it will be completely peaceful," Gandalf said with a sigh. He was right, as always. I just hope that the Arkenstone will help.

After a restless night in the Great Hall with Sigrid, Tilda, and Bain, I prepared to go with Bard, Gandalf, Thranduil, and the elven army to council with Thorin. I didn't want to bring weapons, but I knew I would need them. After Rieka and I fed on a light breakfast, we joined Thranduil, Bard, and Gandalf to march to Erebor.

I ended up on the black mare, Nalya, again. She seemed glad to be paired with me once more, having immediately pranced to my side once I was spotted. I giggled as Nalya nudged her head into my arms to be pet. Rieka huffed, not happy with the attention the horse was getting.

"Come now, Rieka," I said sternly to the jealous wolf, "Don't be like that." She didn't respond, only began to sniff Nalya, determining her worthiness. I rolled my eyes at her behavior, she could be so protective sometimes.

"Come along, Farren, it is time we left," Gandalf instructed after whatching the scene. I nodded, if only a little bit embarrased, and hopped onto Nalya. Thranduil and Bard left already to be in the front of the army and to confront Thorin. I sincerely hoped it ended better than last time.