Chapter Nine

I sat on the rocks of the lake shore as I watched Tilda, Sigrid, and Rieka play in the water not too far from me. The girls giggled as Rieka once again splashed them with water. Her fur had been cleaned already, thanks to the girls, and now they were just having some fun.

It was a happy sight, seeing the two girls play, after such death and destruction. It reminded me of when I was younger, before the destruction of my home, but that had been more than three millenniums ago.

I looked up at the sky to try and determine what time it was. The sun was well above the horizon by this time, but not yet noon. I suppose it was time to head back to the camp.

"Sigrid, Tilda, we best head back now," I called to the girls. They looked up at me, disappointment on their faces, but they did as they were told.

By now, my ankle felt much better, so I could walk on my own now, though with a bit of difficulty. Sigrid, Tilda, and Rieka joined me as I limped toward the camp. The limp was barely noticeable, but still there.

When we got back to camp, I was surprised to see Legolas speaking to Bard. The dwarves were nowhere in sight, so I assumed they went to join their kin at the Lonely Mountain, though I do not know if Tauriel had joined them to be with dwarf she fancied.

"Girls, why don't you go gather supplies? I have a feeling you will be leaving soon," I said to Sigrid and Tilda, trying my best to have a cheery voice.

"Are you not coming with us?" Tilda asked sadly. I turned to look at her, surprised.

"Did you want me to come with you?" I was shocked, to say the least. In the past years, not many had wanted my presence.

"Of course! You said you didn't have a home, and neither do we. We can find a home together!" Tilda said excitedly. Sigrid placed her hand on her sisters shoulder, a small smile on her face because of her sister's enthusiasm.

"What she means to say is that we would love it if you would stay with us." Sigrid's voice had a slight hopeful hint to it.

I thought about her offer. It had been a very long time since I had found a set place to live. I've always traveled Middle Earth with only Rieka, and I loved it, but the prospect of having a place to stay excited me. It had been a long time since I had left Lothlórien, the closest thing I had to a home. Perhaps it was time to settle down.

I desperately wanted to say yes, but when I looked to where Bard and Legolas were speaking, I hesitated.

"Your offer is tempting, but I can't make any decision quite yet," I finally said. Tilda looked disappointed, but Sigrid, ever the teenage girl, seemed to understand my hesitancy.

"Come on, Tilda, let's go help," Sigrid said, dragging off her little sister towards the other townsfolk.

Rieka looked up at me and cocked her head as if to ask a question. I sighed and kneeled down so our faces were at the same level.

"I don't think it's time to settle down yet, we still have work enough to do in our world. Maybe in some years, but I promise we will eventually." I scratched her behind her ears, her favorite spot.

Standing up, I walked over to where Bard and the elf were having their conversation. Alfrid was there too, but I hadn't seen him before because of the way he was hiding behind Bard. It seemed that the greasy little man was scared of Rieka and I. Good.

"Where will you go?" Legolas asked when I came up to stand beside Bard. I shared a look with Bard, reminding him of our conversation from earlier.

"There is only one place," Bard looked to the mountain and, more importantly, Dale.

"The Mountain? You are a genius, Sire. We can take refuge inside the Mountain. It might smell a bit of dragon, but the women could clean that up. It'll be safe and warm and dry, and full of stores, bedding and clothing, the odd bit of gold," Alfrid interrupted, annoying me and everyone else.