Chapter 1

I'm sitting right next to the door to the slytherin common rooms. My knees are drawn up next to my face and I'm silently crying. I just started my second year at Hogwarts. Now I've learned something that has shaken me to my core. I can't trust anyone in Gryffindor- besides Neville, Fred and George. I definitely can't trust Ron or Hermione. I can no longer trust Dumbledore, either. It's rather ironic, the only person I can go to and possibly trust hates my guts.

I let out a small sigh in between my crying. I really should have listened to Malfoy and the sorting hat. I stop crying for a minute when I hear the door open and see Malfoy come out. I hide my face, as I don't want him to see me cry. I hear him scoff and realize he's noticed me. He walks over and stands in front of me. I don't move and just keep hiding my face.

"Potter, what's the matter with you? Did you have a fight with Weasley and Granger?"

I don't respond.

"Potter, are you listening? I asked if you and that mudblood had a fight."

I still don't respond, I don't even move an inch. Draco actually starts to worry and realizes somethings wrong.

"Are you ok? Do you want me to get Dumbledore?"

That gets my attention.

"No, don't! Keep that manipulative old bastard away from me."

By now Draco is clearly worried.

Draco's POV

Potter is acting weirder than normal and now it seems he hates Dumbledore. I don't blame him, I don't like the old coot either- but this is Potter. Dumbledore's "golden boy". Something must have happened to make him act like this. And why in Merlin's beard would he come down here if it was that bad instead of hiding in his own common room? I suppose if I want answers I should probably help him out.

Harry's POV

I feel Malfoy lean down and offer me a hand up.

"Come on, Potter, let's go inside. We can talk there. You can't possibly be comfortable sitting on the ground like that."

I nod and take his hand, while my other hand wipes tears from my eyes. With that we enter into the snake den. I look around and it's just like I thought it'd be. Cold and damp, with plenty of space. A portrait of Salazar Slytherin on the wall with a snake sleeping in his lap. He sends me a small grin, and suddenly this place doesn't feel so cold and damp. It feels just like I'm meant to be here. I let out a small laugh and Malfoy turns and looks at me.

"I should have listened to the sorting hat." Malfoy gives me another look and I explain.

"The sorting hat wanted to put me in Slytherin, now I know why. It's because I actually belong here, not with the backstabbing lions. I wish it did put me here. At least you all are truthful and honest. The hat told me I have talent and that Slytherin could help me on my way to greatness. But I didn't listen to it. I argued with it, I wanted to be with my friends. Heh, friends." Here, Harry snorted. "More like pretend friends. Or people paid to be my friend."

I go silent for a minute while Malfoy leads me over to a couch and chairs. I sit down and it's silent for another minute until I let out a small sigh.

"You were right, Malfoy. I couldn't have chosen any worse friends then if I tried. They betrayed me. I was a fool. Dumbledore paid them to be my friend to keep control over me."

I let out another sigh.

"You were right. Remember when you offered me your friendship and help? You said you could help me, and that some wizarding families were better than others. You were right and I was such an arrogant fool. Is it too late to say I'm sorry and for us to start over?"