Untitled Part 1

"I think we're lost."

"We're not lost," said Time. "We're... just not in the place we are supposed to be in."

Sky smirked. "Regretting not buying that map?"

"No. That man was charging fifty rupees for that poorly-drawn scrap. I'd rather be lost than give that thief any satisfaction."

"So you admit we're lost."

Time huffed, shaking his head mournfully. "Fine. Yes. I'll admit I'm not used to traveling lands so large. The fields here seem to be endless, going as far as the eye can see. It's a little... ah, overwhelming."

"I like it," said Sky. "It's reminds me of home, with the open sky and the feel of wind going through my hair. I would love to visit the Rito. I bet their village is lovely."

Sky had a point. As eager as Time was to get to the next village and meet up with the others, he couldn't deny the beauty surrounding them. Butterflies of every color fluttered above the tall grass. Trees bearing thick, golden pieces of fruit were everywhere, and when hunger ached him, Time could easily reach out and plucked to satisfy his need. Fish were plentiful in the majority of the rivers they passed, and the water was cool and clear.

But not everything was perfect. Even in lands as calm and peaceful as these, monsters still occupy many spaces. Time couldn't help but be on edge, expecting something to attack them at any moment. He'd feel better inside the spaces of a village.

"I see someone," Sky said. He motioned towards a direction with a nod of his head, and indeed, about a hundred feet away, was a person kneeling by a fallen tree log. The person wore a Hyrulian black cloak, its hood covering their head from the sun. The person stood and stepped away, turning to reveal a handful of wild flowers they picked.

"Shall we ask for directions?" Time said.

They made their way towards the Hylian, the soft grass muffling their footsteps. The Hylian had yet to notice their approach, their focus still on the plants they were collecting. Not a merchant, Time noted. There were no wares to be seen. Perhaps they were a Yiga foot soldier hiding in plain sight? Despite their ability to hide, their fondness for mighty bananas always gave them away, and none were present on this person.

But something about this Hylian set Time on edge, and as they neared, Time hand slowly moved towards his own sword.

He stopped a good distance away. "Excuse me," he said politely. "My companion and I are lost. Can you help us?"

The person turned around. At first Time thought the Hylian was a woman- their hair was long and golden like honey wheat. A second look told him this Hylian was a man.

"Where are you trying to go?" Asked the man. His voice was was thick, like he hadn't spoken in years. His accent was also uncommon.

"Kakariko village."

At the name, the man's body language became defensive. He stepped back, his hand raising to the sword on his back. "What business do you have there?"

"None of yours," Time retorted sharply. He started to back away. "If you don't want to help us, then we'll be on our way."

"Time, wait," Sky said. "Do you not see? The sword on his back...?"

Most of the travelers they've encountered on the road carried small daggers or rusted, Hylian blades. Only the traveling Gerudo carried true swords worthy of battle. Something in Sky's voice gave Time pause, and he looked again.

There, sitting on this stranger's back, was the Master Sword.

Sky started smiling. "Time," he breathed. "I think this is our new Hero."

Time's stomach twisted sharply. He recoiled at the sight. Again? He thought grimly. Haven't they given the Goddess enough?

"Do not be afraid, young one," Sky said, stepping forward. He spoke softly like he was talking to a hurt animal. "We're all friends here."

He moved forward, his steps soft, but the Hero had yet to let down his guard. Why would he? Two strangers with similar facial features and knowledge of the scared blade would make anyone suspicious.

"Sky, keep your distance," Time said.

Sky ignored him. "Do you hear the voice? The voice inside the sword. I'm sure she speaks to you as she did once with me."

"Stay away," the Hero warned. He was moving back, treading on his collected pile of flowers. He had yet to release his hold on the hilt, his body on the defensive. "I mean it."

Confused, Sky did stop. He frowned. "You... what's wrong? I don't..."

A sudden strong breeze rushed through the lands, picking up leaves almost violently. Tree branches rustled harshly, the force of the wind knocking off a few apples from their limbs. The dark hood of the Hero fell back, fully revealing his face.

Large, thick burn scars engulphed nearly half of his face. His cheek, his chin, even his pointed ear had been severely burned, permanently disfiguring him.

He's so young, Time thought. The burns were even on the Hero's neck, disappearing out of sight beneath his clothes, suggesting more hidden away.

Even Sky, as much experience as he had, faltered for a second. He licked his lips, trying again. "We both once wield the Master Sword. What does she say to you, Hero-"

"I hear nothing," the Hero said. He took another step back.

"Please. I know you're afraid and confused. Why don't we-"

The Hero grabbed something clipped at his side, bringing it up and giving it two quick taps. Time caught sight of the Sheikah symbol on the object before the Hero's body turned a bright blue.

"Wait-!" Sky said, rushing forward. "You don't need to be afraid, you don't need to be-"

The Hero's body shattered into a million strings of light, scattering into the wind like the leaves before it, disappearing entirely.

"-alone..." Sky finished, defeated. His shoulders dropped and he groaned.

Time clapped a hand on his back. "I wouldn't take it seriously. We'll meet again, that I have no doubt."

"It's not that." Sky bent down. He gently picked up one of the trampled flowers, examining it. The flower had five blue and white petals. The petals were so delicate as Sky touched them with the tip of his finger, they fell apart like wet paper. "He said the sword has not spoken to him. And those scars... I wonder what's wrong."

"I'm sure it's the will of the Goddess," Time said.

Sky threw him a dirty look.

"C'mon," Time said, turning away to avoid a lecture about destiny and honor. "Let's keep moving."