Untitled Part 4

Between Warrior and Legend, they carried the unconscious Hero back down from the hills to their camp. He was surprisingly light despite the numerous items he carried on himself. Very gently they undid the various buckles around his torso, pulling off his weapons and putting them aside to assess the injuries. The Master Sword was immediately given to Sky, who took it and walked a ways from the group, sitting down at a stump to converse in private.

Time demanded space, telling the others to continue setting up camp as Hyrule looked over the unconscious Hero. With some reluctance, they shuffled away to their own work.

Twilight refused to leave.

"Hey," Time said, gently grasping him by the shoulder. "You too. Give your new Hero some privacy."

Twilight shook his head. "You shouldn't have wasted so many healing potions on me. It was only a broken leg."

"And a broken arm, second degree burns, a mild concussion-"

"Are you done?"

"Don't sell the new Hero short, pup. He'll be fine, I'm sure. C'mon, get. Go help the others."

For a long second Twilight didn't move. Time squeezed his shoulder in soft warning, and with a huff, Twilight left to join the others.

As the chosen heroes of the Goddess, they were all born with a rather strong sense of empathy. It was both a blessing and a curse. Twilight especially was burdened, always knowing when someone was in pain or uncomfortable, never giving himself peace. The wolf may have played a part in that, though he would never admit it.

Taking his own advice, Time kept his distance as well, waiting till Hyrule signaled him to come back.

"How is he?"

"I'm not a doctor," Hyrule said, leaning back onto his heels. "That's one hell of a bump on his noggin, but it's nothing we haven't all personally faced before. We'll find out more once he wakes up. That's not my main concern though. There are other injuries on him."

"You mean the burn scars?"

"They're third degree burns. They're extensive, covering at least ninety percent of his body. The ones on his face don't even compare. They're... Time, these burns should've killed him. I don't even know how he's alive right now."

"He is Hylia's current Hero," Time said. "She won't let him die, not until she's done with him."

Hyrule made a noise of disgust. "You know, I don't share yours or Sky's views on the Goddess, but right now your ugly condescending attitude to the current situation isn't helping. If the only thing you can add is pessimism, please leave and do it somewhere else."

Time opened his mouth. He closed it. Shame slowly bloomed inside of him, burning his chest. Because of his age and experience, rarely did any of the others ever talked back to him. Time didn't know what to say, if he should apologize or do as Hyrule said and leave. Time knew he wasn't wrong; as the Chosen Heroes, they were not easily killed.

However he wasn't entirely right. Time was being an unhelpful dick right now.

"You're right," Time said. "I'll... I'll leave you to it. Call if you need help."