Chapter Five

The loud banging on her front door startled Annabell awake. Groggily, she looked at the clock hanging on her wall. It was almost seven in the morning, normally little b would be awake already. She checked on her son before the loud banging began again. Annabelle felt the anger swell inside her, whoever was banging on her door so early was going to get an ear full. She ripped open her door, whisper yelling a frustrated "what" at the person on the other side of the door. Annabelle was a bit shocked to see Dax standing there, long hair pulled up into a bun on the top of his head and a scowl on his face.

'Dax?'

' Is that how you greet everyone or am I just special?'

'You were pounding on my door and my son is still sleeping asshole. It's rare that he sleeps in like this, don't ruin it for me.' Dax's scowl faded away, a sheepish look replacing it.

'Sorry. I forgot you had a little one,' Annabelle was surprised and her ager began to fade.' Look, I just stopped by because I wanted to say sorry for last night.'

'Ma smacked some sense into you didn't she.' Annabelle teased.

Dax rubbed at his beard covered jaw,' Yeah, something like that. She made some good points after you left, but it was really what you said last night that made me think.'

'Oh.'

"Look, I'm sure you don't want anyone prying into your business, but, if you need help or something.' Annabelle could tell Dax was struggling to find the right words to say.

'Dax, it's ok. Thanks for stopping by and apologizing. Can we agree to try to get along for your parents' sake? I promise you I'm not here to cause trouble and your parents were the miracle that I desperately needed. I owe them a lot.'

A small smile graced Dax lips. A real smile, not the smirk he had given her last night.

'Yeah we can do that.' he turned and walked over to his bike and swung his leg over. How had she not heard his bike in the early hours of the morning? Annabelle shrugged the thought off and watched as Dax gave her a nod and rode off.

'So out of your league Annabelle.' she whispered to herself. With a small pep in her step Annabelle went back inside to get ready for wher interview. She had a good feeling about today.

An hour later Annabelle was knocking on the Wilkins' door, ready to drop off little b before her interview. Ma opened the door and let mother and son in.

'Are you ready for today?' she asked, taking little b from annabelle.

'I think so. I have a good feeling about today.'

' Would it have anything to do with a certain stubborn blonde son of mine stopping by?' ma questioned with a knowing smirk.

'How did you know?' annabelle's surprise coloring her voice.

'Besides me beating some sense into him you mean?' ma said with a little laugh.' You are surprisingly happy this morning. I just put two and two together.'

'Well thank you for beating some sense into him, just next time, tell Dax to not pound on my door before the sun is up.'

'What did Dax do now?' an unfamiliar voice asked. Annabelle looked towards the voice and found an older man. He was a tall man, not as tall as Dax, but he was still an imposing looking man. His graying white hair was slicked back and the sides shaved down. His dark eyebrows were pinched together in a scowl and his tattooed arms were crossed over his chest. He looked like he was in his fifties, but still a good looking man. His muscles bulged with his arms being crossed over his chest and the navy blue shirt he wore clung nicly to his still in shape torso.