Chapter Six

Hemlock said he would take me back to the clubhouse on the backroads so I could really get a feel for riding on the open road. Once we were done with our breakfast Hemlock paid even though I protested. He reminded me that he was making it up to me for all his whore comments. Once he was done his arm wrapped around my waist and he started leading me towards the exit. He turned around when I stopped walking with him. I could feel the burn of bile rising in my throat, my eyes watering with the effort to keep it down. I had one hand covering my mouth and the other pressed to my stomach. I felt Hemlock walk over to me and wrap his arm around me, pulling me into his chest, my head barely coming up to his shoulders. His head resting on top of mine.

‘You okay baby girl? You don’t look so hot.’ he mumbles into my hair.

‘Gee thanks. You know just wat to say to make a girl feel special.’ i groan out.

‘Babe your face is pale and you look like your about to be sick.’ I hear him say before I dart into the back of the diner, searching frantically for the restroom. I make it just in time to empty the contents of my stomach. I sit on the floor of the restroom, leaning against the stall wall, attempting to calm my slightly frantic breathing and shaky body.

CAlm breaths, in and out. In and out I tell myself, focusing on deep breathing. It takes a few minutes before I can feel my body calming down. That's when I hear the door to the restroom open and i hear a woman's voice.

‘Everything okay darlin?’ I hear her call out. ‘Hemlock is out here running a hole in the floor.’

I pick myself off the floor. I need to get back to Hemlock before he becomes suspicious of anything, and I would like to go back to the clubhouse and lay down. I open the stall door and walk out with a hand gently holding my stomach. I see the women that called out to me just inside the door. She's older than me, maybe in her forties, but she looks kind. From the look of the classic uniform she's wearing she must be a waitress here. I see her eyes drop down to the hand cradling my stomach and then to the stall that I just exited.

‘Oh baby. Everything is gonna be ok. Have you told him yet?’

I look at her confused.’ Told who what?’ I mumble out.

‘Hemlock. Have you told him that you got a bun in your oven?’

My eyes widen. She thinks the baby is Hemlocks.

‘Oh no no. You have it wrong. It’s not Hemlocks.’ I rush out.

Her eyebrows pull together in confusion and then anger. ‘So you cheated on the poor boy then.’ she says with an edge to her voice.

‘No!’ I take a deep breath and calm down.’Hemlock is just a friend and we have only been friends for a day. The baby belongs to my..’ I catch myself. I don’t want word getting back to anyone about my problems.’ The baby belongs to someone else. Hemlock and I are not involved like that.’

‘Sure.’ she says drawing out the word.’ The two of you looked pretty cozy while you were eating.’

I can feel my face flush.’ Just friends.’ she nobs and turns to leave the restroom.

‘Hey.’ I call out,’ He doesn’t know about the baby. I would appreciate if he doesn’t find out through a small town grapevine.’

The waitress gives me a small smile.’ You got it baby. Names Terri, in case you ever need anything.’ she says and then walks out. I take a moment to make myself look presentable before following Terri out. I see Hemlock pacing by the entrance of the dinner, running his hands through his long locks.