Summer's end

The soft summer breeze  was deliciously cool and refreshing as it  wafted through the air and brought respite to those who were in the stiflingly  hot weather. The leaves descended gracefully onto the ground in a neat little pile. The great oak in the  center of the yard stood tall and strong, overlooking all the people and their comings and goings. It was a majestic thing, a tree that stood tall and proud over the years. And in the yard where this oak tree stood, the sound of steel against steel resonated through the summer air. 

 Prince Ryder Ambrose dodged Sir Wynfred's attack. He scrambled back up, panting. Sir Wynfred nodded approvingly. "You're improving your highness, just keep your footing. And remember your stance." Young Prince Ryder shook his head full of auburn curls and grinned his signature roguish grin that would later charm  the ladies. Even at twelve, girls were swooning over him.His turquoise eyes had a glint of mischief and arrogance in them. He lunged at Sir Wynfred, hoping to catch him off guard. Sir Wynfred swerved and Prince Ryder  came crashing on the hard earth.The other boys stood there, emotionless. They didn't dare snigger because they wanted to keep their heads on their shoulders. Prince Ryder stood up, glared at the boys and continued to fight.

  All the while, Prince Edwyn Ambrose watched from a high and lonely tower. He was supposed to be learning maths but the task his tutor had set him to was so long and tedious that his attention drifted from his calculations and toward his older brother's sword fighting lessons. Prince Edwyn was eight years old but he was old enough to understand that Ryder was special. That he was better. That he was more good-looking and likeable and would be king when their father died.  Edwyn watched as Ryder parried an attack. He was now fighting Lord Auden Clearwater, a callow youth of sixteen. He was a friend to Ryder, both loving to fight and charm maidens.  Auden lunged at Ryder. This time, Ryder was caught off guard and nearly fell but kept his footing. He wiped his face with his sleeve, sweat trickling down his face. A maid hurried past. Ryder grinned at her and the poor maid bowed her head, her cheeks flushed and ran past hurriedly. Auden guffawed and clapped Ryder on the back. Ryder looked rather pleased with himself. The sword fighting lesson was forgotten and Sir Wynfred sharpened his sword, the sunlight reflected on the cold steel blade.

  "Your Highness, What is it that you are looking at? Have you completed your calculations?" The annoying , nasal voice of his tutor rang through the study room. He was a tall , foreign man with a  hooked nose and a goatee that was dyed black but grey hairs were still visible . He had sallow skin and and even though he couldn't be more than thirty, hard lines had formed around his eyes and wrinkles were beginning to show. He cleared his throat in his typical irritating fashion. "I asked you, your highness, whether you had finished the task I had set you to and you have seen fit to ignore me and look out of the window." The man stroked his goatee and walked over briskly to the seat next to the window. He silently watched as Ryder showed off his sword. It was an exquisite thing , rather light for a sword but lethal nonetheless. The hilt was embellished with  sapphires and moonstones. The pommel was carved in the shape of an eagle's head. The eagle's beady eyes were made of orange topaz.  The sword had been given to Ryder by their father, King Leander on his eleventh name day. Ryder had been delighted at the gift and named the sword Eagle's Cry.

  The silence in the musty study room grew heavy and Edwyn felt  discomfited by it. He wanted to break this silence but he couldn't muster the courage to do so. The noiselessness endured for a few more moments. Edwyn was getting agitated and wanted to speak but his tutor held his hand up for silence as he began to state his opinion. The young prince kept his silence, partly not wanting to seem ill-mannered but mostly because Leander had once said that a king who does not listen to his advisors will be struck down by his people. The scholar once more cleared his throat and Edwyn felt a twinge of annoyance at the sound. Thankfully, the educator began.    "Your Highness, I understand that you find your lessons dull and repetitive but you must pay your full attention as you are the Prince of this Kingdom and will rule alongside your brother when he becomes king. You must learn to handle affairs of the state and perhaps you will be appointed advisor of the king. It has happened before. You mustn't envy your brother for envy will be your downfall."