Flawless preparations

Rhea Carthenn sat as calm as a lily on a pond as her maid Ivette Ailmer tenderly brushes her honey coloured locks. The only thing she liked about her looks was her hair. It was lush and soft, and attracted much attention and envy from other maidens her age. "Your hair's beautiful, m'lady. Perfect for the feast tonight." Ivette murmured reverently as she brushed her mistress's hair. Rhea gently inclined her head to acknowledge the girl. Ivette was a sweet girl, with her heart in the right place. She had served her mother, Lady Joslyn Carthenn as faithfully as she served Rhea. Rhea's amber eyes reflected boredom and a lack of interest in the looking glass. This would be another end of summer feast, exactly nine years after the joust in which the White Snake had given Radella Cornesse a rose while thirteen year old Rhea had been burning with jealousy, Ivette only barely managing to calm her down. She inwardly chuckled at her past naïveté. As if the White Snake had seen anything more than a slip of a girl whose face was as plain as whey who just so happened to carry the Carthenn name. It didn't matter now. 

    Ivette nodded in satisfaction at Rhea's appearance. "You look very comely, m'lady. You shall definitely get married this year. Perhaps to Lord Falerion?" Rhea looked at herself in the mirror. She was comely, though not a great beauty. It was her cynicism and analytical skills that distinguished her, not her looks. "If there exists such a man that could put up with my endless critiques on court life, I should marry him in an instant. Would that he were real. Alas, young men my age care nothing for that and would only care about their own advancement and the hunt. Not that I expected anything else from them." 

She stood up, and Ivette hurried to smooth over Rhea's lilac velvet gown trimmed with gold lace. "Careful, m'lady. You must be presentable at breakfast." Rhea sighed. "Ah yes. we women have been prettied up like prize pigs, so now it's time for a high Lord to choose a pig to buy and fuck. Of course." Ivette tutted at Rhea. "M'lady, you mustn't say such things! It's unbecoming of a woman of your station. Marriage is a blessing from the Gods and you would do well to remember that in days to come. Your blessed mother Lady Joslyn would've been most indignant at your words." Rhea chuckled. "Marriage is only a blessing if we were all blessed with a husband like yours, Ivette. Men like Duncan are sadly short in number in Cysenne and across the Kingdoms. I have resigned myself to the fact I shall marry a sod who'll see me as a trophy and nothing more." Ivette blushed at the mention of Duncan but recovered herself quite quickly.She inclined her head to Ivette. "Let us go. It would not do to keep the others waiting, despite my high birth." She left the room without so much as a glance back. Ivette only shook her head. "M'lady is a lonely woman, her mind poisoned by all those heretical books she reads. How poor Lady Joslyn would despair to see her daughter in such a state."

            Rhea sat herself down at the table next to. There was an empty chair where the Queen should have been sitting. It had been empty for eleven years. But soon it would be filled. King Leander would soon pass his crown onto the Crown Prince Ryder. And he was betrothed to Jolecia Falerion, one of the most eligible young women in Cysenne.  Rhea was to be a lady in waiting to the new Queen, in hopes of finding a match for herself. The gentlemen began to arrive at the table and she cast a sweeping gaze over them. Lord Auden Clearwater, a handsome young man. He was a good fellow, despite him being friends with the despicable Crown Prince. He was always laughing and joking around, a smile eternally on his face. Rhea wondered what was behind that mask of a smile he had. Prince Ryder walked in like he owned the place, which he would very shortly. He was laughing uproariously at something  Adalius Falerion, Jolecia's brother had said. Adalius himself had a quiet, satisfied smile on his face. His dark, handsome face exuded calm self assurance. He sat down next to Ryder. He smiled gently at Rhea, to her utter surprise. She returned the smile.

      Prince Edwyn entered the room and took a seat quite close to hers. She smiled at him tentatively. Her heartbeat grew faster. She didn't know why. Perhaps her hormones were out of order. He was tall and he brushed his white blonde curls out of his grey green eyes, giving everyone a good view of his handsome pale face, which could express a whole gamut of expressions but was now showing boredom.