Passageways into the past

Alys was stupefied. "Underground ? Are you sure that's safe? We could get lost and only be found years later, our yellowing bones half buried in the ground." Edwyn was unperturbed. "Don't exaggerate, I've been here heaps of times, we won't get lost. Or are you just afraid of the dark? The shadow  monsters lurking in the shadows? And here I thought you were different?" He spoke condescendingly and Alys' temper flared. "How dare you mock me like this. I am no child to be afraid of monsters. In fact I don't even believe in such rubbish. Save your words for someone who actually holds with that." Edwyn suddenly stepped towards her and Alys retreated swiftly. "Scaredy-cat. Let's go before-" The sound of footsteps and chattering was getting louder. "Prince Edwyn, are you here? His Grace the king requests your presence in the throne room. A terrible thing has happened." 

      Edwyn and Alys locked eyes for a split second and each understood the other's intention. Alys mouthed a small 'no' , but Edwyn would not be hindered by her. One moment of hesitation would cost them everything. He dragged Alys by the arm and pushed her through the door before glancing furtively around the room before leaping through the door and closing the door as quietly as possible. He collided into Alys and they both went tumbling onto the unevenly stone floor. Alys groaned and picked herself up. She rubbed her sore wrists, not bothering to help Edwyn up. After being uncomfortably sprawled on the floor for longer than he would have liked, Edwyn got to his feet. He brushed the dust from his knees. It was extremely dark and the only source of light in this dim tunnel was coming from the torches bolted to the stone walls. The flames flickered in the dark, illuminating Alys' wondering face and Edwyn's grim one. 

       Edwyn took a torch from the wall. He held it a safe distance away from his body and motioned at Alys to follow him deeper. There were stairs leading down into the bowels of the huge castle. Alys balked at this. It was even darker down there, the number of torches decreasing the more you descended. It was slightly damp in there as well. Alys opened her mouth to make a remark when Edwyn covered her mouth with his hand. She struggled, but she stopped when Edwyn shook his head. She fell silent and Edwyn removed his hand. He made a shushing gesture warning Alys not to make any sound. He descended the stairs, leaving Alys with a choice. Three, in fact. She could return to the library and turn herself in. She would be reprimanded in front of court for all to see. In her mind's eye she saw her father's cringing face at his daughter's plight. That was not an option. She could stay here in the passage, not following Edwyn but not leaving either. But she quickly saw the flaws in that plan. She would have to remain completely silent and Alys didn't think she would be a able to do that for an extended period of time. There was only one option left: trust Edwyn and follow him down the winding stairs. It was a risky plan, but her best bet at this point.

         She darted after Edwyn, who was halfway down the steps. She tracked him by his torch's flickering light. Her steps were light and quick and she soon caught up to him. Edwyn wheeled around , his features relaxed after seeing Alys behind him. The unmistakable squeak of a rat was heard and Alys shuddered. Without a word being said, each acknowledged the other's dislike of the steps and they descended quickly. Alys was practically running down the stairs but was careful not to trip on her dress or push Edwyn. Slapping him was one thing. Pushing him down several flights of stairs was another. She would never be able to get away with that. Even if Edwyn vouched for her, punishment was guaranteed.  With these thoughts in her head, she followed Edwyn until they had reached the underground.

    Relief washed over Edwyn's face and his features relaxed. "We can talk now and they won't hear us." Alys' heart started beating normally again. She exhaled, the air down in the passage was stale and slightly damp. Her satin slippers were near a puddle of murky water and she steered clear of these puddles. They went on, Edwyn leading the way. It was brighter down here so there was no need for the torch. Edwyn set it aside, the flame quickly extinguished after the fuel had run out from being used to navigate down the stairs. Alys felt discomfited by the eerie silence, with the only sounds being those of water dripping and the scuttling of rats on the floor. She felt a great need to break the silence and opened her mouth. But she then pondered what she could say to start a conversation that wouldn't make her sound like a moron to the precocious prince. As she was contemplating this, Edwyn was the one to initiate the conversation.