Intruder in the Garden

Edwyn was lying on his stomach. He opened his eyes, feeling groggy. The bright sunlight hurt his eyes and took him a few heartbeats for his eyes to readjust to the light. He felt something nudging his ribs. He ignored the nudges, still drowsy. The nudges turned into painful jabs at his sides and Edwyn decided to see who or what was poking him in an unnecessarily hard way. He slowly rose his head and when he saw who had been annoying him so. Then he let out a long and high scream. "Aaaaahhhh!" He scrambled away from the figure , instantly awake. He got to his feet.

   A muffled voice from the figure was heard. "Well, that's not very polite." Edwyn stared at the figure, transfixed. He got a good look at it. It was a childlike figure, short and slim. But it's torso was covered in muck and leaves and all that. But the biggest surprise was  the thing's face was that of a young girl. She had almond shaped emerald green eyes, and a pair of lips that were in a pout. Her strawberry blonde curls cascaded past her delicate  shoulders. "Monster!" Yelled Edwyn. He had read about such creatures in his books. Half human half monsters who roamed the forest, killing off villagers' children, sucking blood from the lifeless bodies. "I'll have the guards throw you out!" The girl-monster sighed. "Really? Is this how you treat your saviour?I could've left you to die in this garden." 

 Edwyn was infuriated. "Saviour? You're a monster. And you fell on me! In fact, I bet you broke a few bones too! Now leave, beast!" The girl like creature was getting agitated. "How many times must I tell you I am not a monster. And it's your  own fault you fell. If you hadn't pushed me. Okay. You know what? I'm going to prove that i'm  human." Edwyn hesitantly looked at her. The girl began rubbing at her torso and dirty leaves and muck began to cover the grass. Edwyn glimpsed the filthy remains of what had been a green dress. Edwyn felt relieved but a little disgusted by the girl's unsanitary behaviour. She noticed how grimy her hands were and washed wiped them on her already grubby dress. Edwyn now noticed her fair skin and small hands, even smaller than his. She had strawberry blonde hair that ended near her shoulders. "Now, do you see?" The child lifted her chin proudly. "Yes. I'm sorry-"

  A blonde servant girl came running at top speed. She was completely out of breath. She stopped before Edwyn and  curtsied. When Edwyn nodded she rose. "Begging your pardon, your highness, but I must speak to that girl over there." The maid had light golden hair which was tied into a neat bun and was rather pale save for the colour in her cheeks. She had pale blue eyes that were lowered to show respect to the exalted royal, whose position was far above her own. She looked to be around eleven. She walked over to the girl in soiled clothing . "Milady, what on earth has happened? Your dress is stained. I'm not even sure if some of these marks can even be removed. What on earth will your lord father say? Surely you do not wish to mortify him at court in front of all the lords and ladies and possibly the king?" 

The young maid crossed her arms. The mucky child looked abashed and turned her head away from Edwyn and the adolescent servant girl. "Sorry.... Rhoswen. I'm sorry for ruining the dress and that you'll have to wash it later. Can you please get me some fresh garb to wear?" Rhoswen looked mollified, her tone growing gentler as she spoke. "Of course, Milady, it's only my job. I'll have some clean raiment laid out for you. And i'll draw you a nice hot bath to wash off all the filth and muck. Perhaps i'll add some rose oils in your bath to get rid of that terrible stench clinging to you like a shadow. If we hurry, your lord father will never know." Rhoswen mischievously grinned and then scurried off.

   Edwyn turned to the girl. "You're a lady? Well you don't look very ladylike. And you have a maid? I thought  you were one yourself, with your attire." A brief look of hurt flashed across her face and Edwyn felt an inexplicable sense of guilt. All he had done was speak the truth. He had no idea how to talk to girls, barely having spent any time with them. The lass' eyes were cold and unforgiving. Edwyn experiences a sense of unease. The girl opened her mouth and  what she said next stung like salt rubbed in a wound. "Oh yeah? You thought I was a maid? Well, guess what? You didn't look very princely when you were screaming like a little girl at the sight of me! You're no prince! You're just a craven little boy who no one  likes ! Your mother should be ashamed that she has such a rude and lily-livered son!" She breathed heavily after making that exclamation.