Chapter 4

{ Edited - 5th August, 2021 }
{ Edited - 3rd May, 2024 }

I didn't respond to his question; instead, I found myself gazing out at the vast sea, lost in my thoughts. I couldn't help but contemplate whether I should have stayed back on the island with Jake's dad. Maybe, when nobody is watching, I'll just leave and take care of myself like I used to. These kids don't really need me; they all seem to have a strong bond and can rely on each other.

I hardly know my own mother or her wards. I'm just an overly emotional person who struggles to control my emotions and think clearly. These kids don't need the burden of my emotional baggage after all they've been through. "Look, don't let Enoch get to you like that, he's just mad at the world at the moment. I know for a fact that your mother will never see you as a disappointment and she will never ditch you like that unless it was very serious," said Jake as he put his arms around me.

Miss Peregrine approached me from the side and affectionately rubbed her head against my thigh. However, I didn't pay much attention to it and simply chose to ignore her gesture. She means nothing to me.

Jake sighed, "We'll give you some space," Jake looked at the bird next to me. "Come on Miss Peregrine, let's save Enoch from Emma before she kills him," he said as he stood up, picked up Miss Peregrine, and left me to deal with my thoughts by myself.

I overheard the kids chatting about their plans after arriving on the island. It seems like they didn't think ahead about what to do next once we got there. "There's no wood anywhere!" Suddenly, Horace's voice interrupted the children's lively conversation, causing an immediate hush to fall over the room.

"Did you look in the woods?" said Emma.

"Too scary, we heard an owl," Horace replied.

"Since when are you afraid of birds?" said Enoch.

"We found something else, though." Another dead silence came.

"Shelter?" asked Emma.

"A road?" asked Millard.

"A goose to cook for supper?" asked Claire.

"No. . .Balloons," Horace replied.

"What do you mean, balloons?" said Emma.

"Big ones in the sky, with men inside of them," Replied Fiona.

"Show us," Emma said.

"Kira, you coming with us?" Jake called.

I didn't provide him with a response; instead, I found myself gazing out at the vast sea, contemplating my next move once everyone ventured off to witness these so-called "amazing" balloons. Should I escape and rely on my own instincts, or should I remain here? "We'll be back, please, watch out for yourself while we're gone," Jake once again called out.

I glanced behind me to find everyone departing together, and the moment they disappeared from view, I swiftly rose to my feet, brushed off the dirt, and dashed towards the sandy dunes. I sprinted through a cluster of trees swaying in the wind and ventured into the dense, untrodden forest. Darkness swiftly surrounded me, engulfing my surroundings.

I felt like there was no time for my eyes to adjust, no time to feel my way carefully, just running hard, gasping until my lungs burned. I kept stumbling in the dark, arms outstretched, probably resembling a fast-running zombie in the Olympics, dodging tree trunks that appeared out of nowhere just inches from me.

In just a matter of minutes, I came to a halt, my heart pounding like crazy, experiencing a surge of energy and a slight sense of calmness as I allowed myself to detach from the world. This is something I've done countless times, and each time it brings back that comforting sensation of liberation. Determined to create some distance between myself and the children, I continued running, and it felt absolutely amazing. No obligations, no dealing with anyone's nonsense - pure bliss.

After what seemed like hours, I dashed away as the world outside gradually transformed into a serene night. It's no wonder that exhaustion started to creep in after everything I had to face today. Finally, I halted my run, mustered the last ounce of energy I had, and scaled a towering, sturdy tree. I discovered a safe nook to rest in, reclined, and peacefully shut my eyes, free from any concerns.