Chp. 6

MISS YOUNGS POV

It was several days before I finally got a reply back from Serena. She really freaked me out this whole week I couldn't focus on work properly because she wasn't there, and because she wasn't replying.
There was something about her that caught my eye from the beginning that immediately made me like her, and to think that I could lose her before I even had her or even worse makes my heart hurt so much. I noticed a tear rolling down my face so I quickly wiped it away before anyone in the class noticed.

When Serena told me she had luekeumia, my heart felt like it was being ripped out of my chest. I knew she needed me more than ever, losing her would probably break me. I got a medical certificate and had the next week off of work.
No one knew that Serena and I were an item, but I guess we weren't actually really anything. The only time I left her bed was to pee, eat and shower. By the end of the week she had lost most of her hair so we decided that I would shave the rest off.
Serena's mum hadn't called or anything, it's like she didn't even care. I even messaged and called her telling her Serena was in hospital but apparently that means nothing to her.

I have to go back to work tomorrow but Serena is begging me not to go, her friends haven't visited her, but she hasn't gone on her phone at all so they don't know. She looked so helpless and I just wanted to help her and take the pain away but I can't.
Leaving her that night was so hard but I promised her that I would come back straight from school.

At work that day I found all her friends at lunch time and asked them to meet me in my classroom. They all looked heartbroken when I told them about Serena. They all went to visit her after school, and I went afterwards, unfortunately because I wasn't family I couldn't stay much later than the visiting hours allowed but I squeezed in another hour.
Everyday for the next week I went and sat with her before school and afterwards as well, and by the end of the week I was exhausted but it was so worth it.

On the Saturday I got to hospital and found she wasn't in her usual room, I panicked and went to the reception to find out where she was.

"Hi sorry but do you know where Serena Jade is?" I asked to one of the nurses. After a minute or so she finally replied.
"Yes she's in the ICU, she was having trouble breathing, her heart was failing, and her body was rejecting the chemo," my heart dropped, "can I see her?" Hoping and praying she would say yes.
"Unfortunately not love but we can give you a call when she comes out if you wish?" I nodded and gave her my number then headed home, by the time I got home I was in tears. It had felt like such a long time since I had spoken to her. I wanted to scream and punch things and I was so angry at cancer, and everything.
Serena's mum still hasn't answered me so I called her and she didn't answer so I left her an angry voicemail, "your daughter is in hospital with luekeumia and you can't even be bothered to call or go in or anything, just so you know she's in the ICU,"
I half screamed down the phone then hung up. I went and had a shower and just cried and screamed, once I got out of the shower I fell asleep.

Another long week had passed, I kept my phone on loud every single day when I wasn't working, still nothing.
I ended up calling on the Saturday morning a week after Serena had been admitted in to the ICU,
"Hi I was just wondering if Serena Jade was out the ICU yet?" I was nervous that the answer would be not what I wanted to hear, "she's recovered and so we're sorting out a bed for her in ward 7 South, she should be in there by this afternoon, if you want to drop in tomorrow morning that'll probably be more suitable for her,"
"thanks," I said and hung up, I let out a huge sigh of relief thank god she was at least getting out. The rest of the day dragged on and by the time Sunday morning came I was exhausted, but very excited to see her and finally get to hear her voice again.
I was at the hospital five minutes after visiting hours started. I knocked on the door and when she didn't reply I walked in to see her asleep, she looked so small and pale in the bed, she was connected to an IV two actually. I sat next to her bed and took her hand and held it tight. I must of fallen asleep because I woke up and she was just lying there smiling at me.

"Hi beautiful how long have you been awake for," I asked smiling back, "probably 10 or so minutes but I didn't want to wake you because you looked so peaceful," it sounded like it was hard for her to talk, maybe she just needed water or something.
"I missed you," a tear escaped my eye before I could stop it, "I missed you too," she squeezed my hand and I got up and kissed her quickly on the lips. It was such a great feeling and one I had missed,
"it was such a long week, no one came to visit me, and I had to have surgery on my heart which I didn't think I was going to have because of the chemo but I had it. Everyone's families came to see them but I was stuck by myself I hated it," she began crying at that point, I stood up and hugged her tight not letting her see my tears. "It's okay, I'm here now. We can spend all day together, I'm sorry I couldn't visit you babe, they wouldn't let me. I got told I would get a call when you were out of ICU but they didn't call me," I said more tears escaping she patted the spot next to her and I hopped up next to her and she cuddled into me, I felt a wave of relief knowing she was safe in my arms "it's okay babe," she smiled at me. We talked until I was forced to leave, not by the nurses but by Serena, she made me go home and look after myself and not worry about her, but I'll always worry about her.

SERENAS POV
It was now the middle of week 3 being stuck in the hospital, Toni really has been amazing. She's been at the hospital with me every chance she gets. Unfortunately though mum still doesn't give a shit though, still no calls or texts. I don't know why I bother to be honest. The days when Toni isn't there are the hardest but most of the time I just sleep and would wake up to so many messages from Toni, especially when I don't reply.

On the Thursday the first round of chemo was done, the doctor came in and told me that tomorrow if I was feeling up to it I could go home, it sounded so exciting that I just smiled and thanked him. Finally I get to sleep in my own bed.
When Toni came that night I told her the exciting news, she looked so excited for me.
"I'll miss my first two periods in the morning to bring you home, you might sleep better if you're home in your own bed," I agreed with her, still smiling, 3 weeks is way to long to be eating hospital food.

The next morning Toni drove me home, it was such a relief to be out of the hospital and away from the IV's and the sick people and just be home. Toni was right my bed felt so comfortable that when she left for work I slept all day, and woke up when she kissed me on the head.
"Hi beautiful," I smiled sleepily, "how was the rest of  your day?"

"It was alright I missed you," she replied, and pulled out something from her bag. "This is from everyone in your year level,"
It was this massive card and everyone had signed it and wrote a note, then she handed me a gift bag.
It had a card in it,
My girl, you're the bravest, and strongest person I've ever met. You inspire me in so many ways and I'm so grateful to know you. You'll get through this my baby.
PS. Wear this everyday so you're reminded that even when I'm not there physically, I'll always be with you
Love from Toni
I smiled at the card and kissed her hard, then containing myself I opened up the bag and saw a box, when I opened it I saw the most gorgeous necklace. It was a love heart, and engraved on the back was "I love you". It's so gorgeous and I'm so grateful for it, "can you please put it on me?" I asked, she just nodded. "I love it thank you so much baby," I said, she smiled then kissed me.

Later that night when we had gone to bed I was lying there in Toni's arms thinking about our relationship and how it had just happened, neither one of us had actually asked the other to be their girlfriend. Over these two to three months we had gotten so close and had just became a thing which made me so so happy, but I also feared about what would happen if the school ever found out!
I shook Toni awake, "Serena what's wrong?" She asked sounding worried.
"Nothing, I just was thinking" I paused before continuing on, "about our relationship and all that, and well would you do me the honour of being my girlfriend?" I asked, blushing a little bit so I'm glad t was dark otherwise it would've been embarrassing,
"Hehe yes of course," she said.

———————-
Authors note
Thanks for all the support, I hope you liked this chapter