Chp. 16

Toni's POV
I woke up to a pounding headache, pretty ironic seeing as I just had brain surgery.
I felt something in my hand and look down and saw someone sleeping against the bed holding my hand. They felt me move and woke up and looked at me and grinned. She looked familiar but I couldn't place a name to the face.
Her smile was absolutely stunning, and I got butterflies in my stomach. She turned around and I followed her gaze. It was my parents, she woke them up and they were so grateful to see me awake. They called for a doctor to come in and check up on me.

"How are you feeling my darling?" The girl asked, "I've got a headache but other than that I'm good,"

"Toni do you know who she is?" My dad asked me pointing to the girl holding my hand. "She looks very familiar but I can't think of her name," I replied looking at her. She looked like she was going to cry, oh my. Please don't tell me I was the one who made her cry she's to precious. We must of been close.

"This is your wife darling," my mum said to me. Makes sense why she was going to cry. I shook my head a little, "No way this gorgeous thing is mine," I said, she looked at me with a hint of sadness in her eyes and kissed my cheek.

The next day I was awoken by the nurse coming in to give me breakfast. She looked over at my "wife" whose head was lying on the bed and she was holding my hand (which she must of taken when I had fallen asleep) and smiled sweetly. "She's a keeper that's for sure," the nurse said to me, I looked at my "wife" and smiled which I'm not sure why but it made my heart swell just seeing her lying there, "so I've been told," I replied.

A while later my "wife" woke up, I've been meaning to ask her name because I didn't get told it yesterday. She looked up at me and smiled and I got butterflies.
There's something in the pit of my stomach that I just can't work out, like I'm missing something but I don't know what!

"Can I ask you something?" I asked the girl in front of me, "of course!"

"I hope I don't upset you in anyway because I don't want too, but what's your name?" I asked gingerly.

"Serena," I could see the pain and hurt in her eyes as she replied. She got up and grabbed something from her bag, it was her phone. She pulled up photos of us. As I was going through them one caught my eye and a memory from that day flooded my mind.

We had gone out on a date, roller skating and she had fallen over so many times. Every time she did I would try not to laugh as I helped her up, it was one of my favourite days. All of a sudden I knew who she was and remembered everything about her, and remembered our wedding and the very first day I met her, bloody hell I was so lucky.

She got up to leave and I panicked, "please don't go Serena," I said grabbing her wrist, "really?" She turned around all excited. I smiled because she was smiling, it was so infectious. "Yes my baby," I replied, she leaned in to hug me without hurting me but I pulled her in tighter.

"I remember everything and our wedding and everything," I whispered into her ear and she kissed me then relaxed into me, and now I knew what I was missing that whole time, it was her. My wife.

A week later I was able to go home. Serena has spent the whole week with me and didn't leave my side even when the nurses tried to make her go home. Though they couldn't actually do anything seeing as we're married. I'm so thankful for her. I know it was hard for her especially when I didn't know who she was. Mum was telling me about it and apparently Serena cried to her one night because she thought I wouldn't ever remember her. Even if I didn't remember her, the chances are I would've fallen for her again.

It was night time by the time I was discharged and was ready to leave. I was still in pain as I left the hospital but I was so thankful to be going home, 2 nearly 3 weeks in hospital was way too long. I missed the fresh air and the sun, I missed dancing around the living room and I missed our bed.