Chapter Nineteen

Once Tracou had agreed to accompany them, Ina and Pendaer had prepared the wagon and set off. Pendaer led the way on his horse while Ina and Tracou stayed in the wagon. They had brought the horse the Zeibr gave Tracou with them, too. Pendaer tied its bridle to one of the other horses.

Summer was giving way to fall. Down in Zeibr territory it wasn't as noticeable, but it would be in Winlea. The wagon wasn't useful in fall or winter, considering that it didn't do anything to keep the cold at bay. They were definitely going to need furs or cloaks at some point. The easiest place to find something like that was Shalen. The major merchant season was over, but Shalen was the largest human city on the continent.

"So what's the plan?" Tracou asked Ina as they sat together in the wagon.

"What do you mean?"

"Are we going straight to Winlea? I doubt you want to just pass by Shalen."

Ina's lips pressed into a fine line as she considered this. "I didn't think we might skip it... I have to give my first month's worth of gold to Nesta."

"Why? What is she going to do with the money?" 

"Live...?" Ina answered as though she didn't understand the question.

"You don't have any plans for it?"

"Nesta has a plan. I think. Either way, we can't farm or make anything, so... this way we'll have money to live on for a while without taking weird jobs."

"But you can fish now, can't you?"

Realization dawned, lighting up Ina's expression. "I can! I can fish. And you know, while you were with the Zeibr, Pendaer started teaching me how to use a bow."

Tracou gaped at Ina. Almost anything she could have said would have been less surprising. The idea of Pendaer teaching anyone anything, much less something useful, was totally baffling.

"What?"

"Mm-hm. That letter really scared him. I wish I could have read it myself."

"He's teaching you how to use a bow? His bow?"

"Yeah. Maybe I can become a hunter if I know how to use a bow. You know, fishing and hunting... people make a living doing that."

Clearly Ina, who had dealt with learning something from Pendaer, had to block out how bizarre the situation was so she could continue to live like normal.

While Tracou reeled from this information, Ina poked her head out of the wagon to speak with Pendaer.

"Hey, are we going to Shalen on our way to Winlea?"

"No," he said, facing firmly away from her.

"Why not? We should go!"

"We need to get to Winlea as soon as possible."

Tracou joined Ina, lying flat next to her and shoving his head out of the front of the wagon. "Are you going to skip dying your hair?"

Pendaer made a pained noise in his throat, but otherwise didn't respond.

"How about this?" Ina began, speaking rapidly. "We go full speed until Shalen, rest for a day or two, resupply, and then go full speed again! You can dye your hair in Shalen."

"We'll need warmer clothing if we're going to Winlea," Tracou added.

For a time, Pendaer said nothing. Tracou was already regretting agreeing to accompany Pendaer and Ina. Going full speed with Pendaer meant that Tracou and Ina would have to sacrifice something, cold weather gear and a chance to see Nesta respectively, but Pendaer would likely still stop to ensure no one ever saw a blond hair on his stupid elf head.