The Road to Dezmer - Twenty Six

Truth be told, the full impact of what was happening hadn't hit Mirthal. Despite the dire situation, they had a backup plan. In the worst-case scenario, he could offer himself up as a hostage. Sure, Pendaer and Tracou would hate the idea, but if he could prevent dezmek deaths, then he would. It would even prevent Winlean deaths. And besides, they had rescued him before so they could rescue him again.

Mirthal now stood in the manor, holding the hooded cloak Sakshi had given him. He hovered behind Pendaer, but Pendaer had to take off his hat to don the coat. He hesitated, then yanked the cloak away from Mirthal.

"Turn around."

Mirthal did as he was told, but Tracou didn't, his eyes far away. He had been stuck up in his head for the past while, so Mirthal turned him around to keep Pendaer from getting agitated.

Once ready, Pendaer stood in front of them. He hunched over.

"Do I look short enough to be a human?"

Compared to most elves, Pendaer had only grown to the lower end of average height. Slouching, he could pass as a tall human.

Now alert, Tracou took in Pendaer as a whole. "What if someone recognizes you?" he asked, worry creeping into his tone. Again.

"You had that horrible magic on me in the castle, remember?"

Tracou nodded, still frowning. "That's true... Fine. I'm going to tell everyone the plan. Then we can go, okay?"

Mirthal looked him over. An unwelcome image came to mind.

Chaos. Winlean men swarming Ergakan, looking for dezmek to murder. A Winlean criminal would spot Tracou. He would rush toward him, knocking him down, and stomp a boot on his chest, cracking his ribs. Then, as Tracou struggled to breathe, the criminal would raise his sword—

He shut his eyes hard enough to hurt, driving the image away.

"You should stay here."

Tracou shook his head. "I'm coming with."

"You should stay. It's too dangerous for you."

"For me? If anyone should stay, it should be you! What do you even plan on doing?"

Did Tracou think all of that sword practice was just for fun? Maybe Mirthal had only been practicing how to fight one foe, but he would definitely be able to handle himself. Definitely. No one needed to shield him, but Tracou was delicate and powerless as long as that dust was in the air. Mirthal would help him, this time. He would show him his worth—one that didn't rely on who happened to sire him.

"You both should stay here," Pendaer declared with a flourish of his hand. "Stay here where it's safe. I'll protect you both and this backwater village to boot!"

Mirthal let what Pendaer said wash over him, not outwardly reacting, but it broke through Tracou's concerned fog. He glared, ready to start an argument.

Then, a moment later, Tracou's expression softened.

"Thank you for helping us, Pendaer. I'll be in your debt after this."

Mirthal could not believe his ears. But even more than Mirthal, Pendaer seemed lost. He took a single step back, his mouth open. As those words sunk in, Pendaer's face turned a deep red and he about faced.

"We don't have time for this, so I should go," he said, alternating between mumbling and speaking too loudly.

"We're all going," Tracou huffed.

As much as Mirthal wanted to argue with Tracou, he was hard to sway in the best of times. Maybe he would enter one of the houses and stay there until everything was over.