Chapter Thirty Four

The next morning, Tracou watched as other people awoke and set about their business. He had nearly nodded off more than once, but hadn't fully fallen asleep. Once the sun was out he would feel much more awake. At least, that's what he told himself.

Meeting Mirthal had, hopefully, encouraged him enough to hang on for a while longer. But knowing that he couldn't destroy Mirthal's cell if nothing else worked weighed heavily on Tracou. He had his wand. That meant that any obstacle he encountered should have been easy to deal with. And yet, here he was, unable to free Mirthal without some stupid keys.

Those who worked in the kitchens rose first. Tracou caught a few worried stares thrown his way when people noticed he was awake—a trend that continued until the knights had their turn at waking. By then, the castle bustled with morning noise.

Pendaer had slept the whole night through. Bastard. Tracou set a single pear, one of the few bits of food he had kept for breakfast, on Pendaer's chest as he slept. Watching it rise and fall had amused him at first, but he soon became jealous of Pendaer's slumber and had to ignore it. Most of the others in the castle were up and walking while Tracou had to wait for Pendaer. He had never had to stir him before and he wasn't about to try it now—who knew what he would do?

When Pendaer finally opened his eyes, he sat up, knocking the pear into his lap. He stared dumbly down at it for about thirty seconds before glancing at Tracou. Their eyes met, but Tracou made no indication that he encouraged Pendaer to eat. That didn't bother Pendaer and he devoured the pear, leaving no trace of it.

"We have to talk to Karthik," Tracou whispered to him.

"Why?"

As quietly as possible, Tracou explained what he had learned with Mirthal and Sakshi. His inability to use magic to free Mirthal presented a serious problem—one that he never would have expected. Humans shouldn't have anything related to magic, much less something that nearly negated it. Pendaer listened closely to his explanation and had but one question.

"And? How did he look?"

Tracou grimaced. "Terrible. Gaunt. He doesn't even know how long he's been down there..."

Jaw clenched, Pendaer let out a long sigh through his nose. If Tracou hadn't known better, he might have guessed that Pendaer actually felt something. Then, without warning, he stood.

"Get up, then. Let's find that Karrick."

Clicking his tongue, Tracou got up. He had been waiting for Pendaer for hours, but he had the gall to be impatient with him.

Despite the fact that one of Karthik's responsibilities involved being available to Tracou and Pendaer for any reason, Karthik had left the castle and had gone outside to his normal post at the gate. He and the old man gazed out at the rest of Dorssur, keeping watch for an enemy that was already within the castle walls.

"Hey, kid." Pendaer barked as they approached. "We need to speak with you."

Karthik jolted and turned around, but the old man stepped in front of him. He said something in Winlean in a tone that did not invite retort or even standing one's ground. Grimacing, Karthik said something, but the old man rounded on him, speaking a few, harsh syllables. Karthik nodded slowly.

"Ah, um... He wants you to know that he won't tolerate you speaking harshly to me..."

Pendaer scoffed. "And what will he do?"

Tracou groaned. How could Pendaer be Mirthal's handler when he so desperately needed one himself?

"Please ignore him. We really need to talk to you—it's about Sakshi."