Chapter Twenty Two

Mirthal's spirits weren't any higher when he and Sakshi arrived in Dorssur. Their trip had taken a couple of weeks, thanks to Sakshi's tendency to stop in every village she came across. She avoided sleeping outside whenever possible. He wasn't actively sulking anymore, but he moved around like fog hung around him and only him. If Sakshi told him to get out of the wagon and carry her bag somewhere, he did it without question. Otherwise, he let his thoughts drift wherever they pleased.

The city of Dorssur sat upon and around a sizable hill. Its presence dominated the horizon for miles before a traveler could reach it. A castle, a shining white beacon at the top of the hill, kept a solemn eye on the land all around it. Walls surrounded the city, limiting its growth.

Getting inside Dorssur was easy—the walls were in disrepair. Mirthal had been dreading another possible attack, but no one guarded any of the entrances to the city. Shalen had been the same way. Frankly, it was baffling to Mirthal that anyone could walk into these capital cities. In the Elven Kingdom, only a certain strata of elves could hope to enter the capital.

Unlike what Mirthal had seen of the rest of Winlea, Dorssur was more than a muddy collection of huts. The buildings in the outer parts of the city were made from wood, but closer to the center the material of choice was stone. No matter what, these buildings were ocher, with different colored borders around the doors denoting what the building was used for. The architecture in this city was full of harsh lines and exacting, geometrical shapes cut into their buildings. The more important a building was, the more intricate the design. A basic home would be built simply, but a stately residence would have hexagon or star patterns along the walls. The windows were cut in strange ways—instead of a normal, square shape all around, the upper portions of these windows were shaped into an arch with half circles cut out of them. A space would be left in between each missing half circle, giving the windows a toothy appearance.

Human architecture differed greatly from Elvish architecture. Elves preferred their homes to have sprung out of the ground naturally, or to look like they had. Those skilled in design and certain enchantments often made homes for others who could afford it. Otherwise, people tried their best by themselves. Humans liked to separate themselves from the world around them, insisting on unnatural structures.

Dorssur didn't compare to the capital of the Elven Kingdom, but what could? Surely even the capital of Dezmer would pale in comparison.

Though he was in a city, Mirthal struggled to gather up any enthusiasm. He would still have all his hair and he wouldn't have been subjected to days of camping near a mountain had he stayed away from Winlea.

Fall was in full force in Dorssur, ensuring that no person wandered the streets without some kind of coat. Unlike the furs Tracou had made him buy, they were wearing coats made of wool. They looked like they would be useful in the rain and snow. But, if Mirthal tried to use them as a shield like he had the fur, they would crumble all the same.

There were pigeons everywhere. Mirthal had never seen so many in one place before.

Sakshi pulled their wagon along a cobblestone road into a residential area, smiling widely.

"I lived here all my life, you know. What do you think?"

"It's very nice," Mirthal said limply.

Glancing back at Mirthal, Sakshi frowned. Their interactions had been stilted ever since they had left that village by the mountains. Mirthal had given up on putting on a polite face around her and Sakshi could be abrasive even in the best of times.

They soon stopped in front of an old looking house. Unlike the others along the road, which seemed well maintained and full of life, this one was muted. It had only minor decoration, with some of the geometric shapes in the walls having pieces missing. The line of paint around the door—which was green like all the other homes—looked as though no one had retouched it for decades.