Chapter 1

The wind whipped wildly through your hair as you stood in that same meadow, overlooking the windblown sea as it thrashed about, ten months later. Having just arrived after working early in the morning, Will walked up and stood beside you. Neither looking at the other, a tension hanging in the late summer air. The silence was tangible.

You had gotten into a fight the day before, and hadn't spoken since.

Will was the first to turn your way, and even though you did your best not to look at him, you couldn't help yourself.
"Y/n, I'm sorry," Will began, and as quickly as you turned to see his pleading eyes, you turned away again, a sadness rising in your throat. "I had no idea she was going to be there, she showed up and... it wasn't in my control."
"Not in your control? Will, I'm not angry at you for having a friend over. I don't care that someone was there."
Will's brow furrowed. "Then what do you care about? Y/n, I'm trying to make things better. I can't stand seeing you angry with me. What did I do?"
"You know what you did, William Turner." You never used his full name, not ever. His face fell when he realized the extent to which you were angry with him. The events of the previous day swirled around inside your head. It was Elizabeth that you cared about, the fact that it was her there. It should have been you. You should have been the one that was kissing him, not her. "I just... would have appreciated a warning, maybe a locked door. Privacy is in your vocabulary, is it not?"
"Y/n... I'm sorry. You're right. Just... please forgive me for not respecting your time. I'm sorry. Please, Y/n..."

You said nothing as you turned around, eyes wet with tears, and walked down the foothill.
"Y/n!" Will called after you. But you weren't coming back. Not today. You sniffed as you walked through the long grass, trying to hold yourself together, at least until you got back home.

Soon, you did, but crumbled against the door as soon as it closed. You cried silently in the small space that you could call your own. You could feel your eyes growing red and puffy but the tears kept coming. You didn't think you had cried this much since your parents had died, nearly ten years prior. After that, the only one you had left was Will, a couple days older and a couple days wiser. He took care of you, using any money he earned, or occasionally stole, to purchase food for the both of you. He was the sole reason you didn't die within a month. And now, he was the sole reason for your anguish.