The Time He Couldn't Forget And They Couldn't Forgive

*WARNING: Disasociation episode, do not read if that is a trigger for you!! If any of you have suffered from this, my heart reaches out to you. It is real and it sucks and there are ways to help you. Stay safe.*

It'd a been a year since she'd traded aprons for silk. A year since she'd slept on straw instead of downy pillows. A year since her hair had been thrown up in hasty tails, instead of immaculately twisted underneath a crown. A year since her place had been at the Physician's side instead of the King's. But if Arthur thought that would stop her from going to do whatever she could for the village, then her husband was in for a shock.

"- if Gaius would let me come with you, then I wouldn't protest. But I can't let the Queen of Camelot go frollicing about unprotected-" Arthur protested from beyond the white changing screen shielding Gwen as she pulled the fitted fur vest over her white tailored tunic. Gwen's lips twisted up in a smile as she remembered the day she'd realized Merlin was acostumed to barging into Arthur's chambers whenever he felt like it. She'd never seen him flush such a Camelot red before and within ten minutes of the incident a changing screen had become a permenate resident in the King and Queen's chambers.

"Guinevere, are you even listening to me?" Arthur asked sounding slightly miffed. His voice drew her from her thoughts and it took her a moment to realize what he'd said.

"Yes, Arthur. Of course I am." She said loyally- laughing softly as he huffed in irritation.

"No your not..."

"Yes I am. And it's hardly unprotected- your sending the entire Round Table with him." She bent down and began to lace up her riding boots.

"Because he's going to a village that is being attacked by something we don't understand and have virtually no way to fight against-" Arthur exclaimed, his worry bleeding into his voice.

"Arthur, that village happens to be my childhood home."

"I know that. That's why we're sending-"

Gwen, fully decent, stepped out from behind the screen to see her husband sitting at the edge of their bed, his bare chest tightly wrapped in the familiar white bandages, brows furrowed over worried eyes.

They widened slightly as he saw her- then they softened, and his mouth quirked into a smile.

"You look beautiful." Her heart warmed and she shook her head slightly.

"Arthur, you're delerious on pain potions. I'm in the clothes I wore almost five years ago when we went after Merlin to Eeldore."

"And you look just as breathtaking as you did then-" his voice sounded sincere, and he gazed up at her with such awe burning in her eyes that she felt her cheeks flush red enough to rival Merlin's from all those years ago. His eyes made her feel like the most precious thing in the world.

"Arthur..." she walked over to him, cupping his face and titling it up to her. She bent down and pressed her forehead to his. He smiled, leaning into her, pressing sweet, longing lips to hers, and she gave hers to him, kissing his gently. After a timeless moment, she pulled back. He grunted in displeasure even as he gasped raggedly for breath, leaning in again persistently. She laughed and succommed. For a breath all that existed was them- not a King and Queen- but two lovers whose whole world was the other-

Crash!

A loud clatter, a resounding thud, and the distinct sound of shattering glass.

They jumped apart-how long had she been on his lap? She needed to keep focused or she'd never get it from him!- both swiviling to the still shut oak doors.