The Last Letter

After the painful dying bit ended, being dead wasn't so bad.

Until Merlin decided to join him.

Because now- crumpled on the stone floor of the cramped closet Gaius called a bedroom, was the brother he'd died to protect .

Dying.

His mortality slipping away with every drop of blood that seeped out of him.

"No!" Arthur shouted, lunging to Merlin's side- his hands reaching out -he had to do something!- he had to save him! But he yanked them back.

The dead couldn't interact with the living.

Dread writhed in his veins. I can't save him!

He knelt there uselessly . Idiotically frozen above the tableau he'd never imagined he'd have to see.

Merlin's tears splashed into the pool of red around them as his eyes screwed shut, a ragged whimper escaping him. Arthur felt his heart break and he watched helplessly as his best friend began thrashing. He'd watched too many soldiers die. Merlin only had moments.

"No- no- please Merlin... you have to go back-" Your supposed to be safe. I did this so you'd be safe-

The need to comfort him seared under his skin but he forced himself to hold back.

The dead couldn't interact with the living.

He knew that. Torturing himself by trying wouldn't change anything.

But what if you can? A tiny part of him worried. What if he's going through the worst pain of his life alone because of your selfish cowardice?