Umm Salmah

Umm Salmah

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said:

"Allah has commanded me to marry only with the women of Paradise. "Umm Salamah participated in the Ridwan pledge; therefore, she deserved the Paradise.

Her real name was Hind bint Abu Umayyah who became famous by the name Umm Salamah. She was noble by birth, intelligent, learned, wise and skillful. She was first married to 'Abdullah bin 'Abdul Asad Makhzumi known as Abu Salamah. He was the son of the Prophet's paternal aunt Barrah bint Abdul Muttalib. He too belonged to the select band of people who were the first to accept Islam. He was known for his integrity, valour, generosity, tolerance and patience. He was the eleventh person to come into the fold of Islam. He was also the foster brother of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) through the ties of breast-feeding.

Umm Salamah was also one of the earliest converts to Islam. Her mother was 'Atikah bint 'Amer bin Rabi'ah bin Malik bin Khazimah. Her father Abu Umayyah bin 'Abdullah bin 'Amr bin Makhzum was a very wealthy man and famous throughout the Arab world for his public service and charity. Umm Salamah seemed to have inherited this trait from her father. She was always amiable and kind to her neighbors. When she married the handsome and brave son of the equally wealthy family of Makhzum, she carried a friendly demeanor of pleasant serenity into her new household. There was an atmosphere of gaiety and love in the home of the newly married couple.

But things changed radically when the couple embraced Islam. The whole family turned against them; mischievous and wicked elements like Walid bin Mughirah Makhzumi started creating problems for them. Finally, when matters had nearly reached their worst, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) advised his staunch followers to migrate to Abyssinia where the Christian King was more tolerant of the new religion. Sixteen people set out on that historic first migration of the followers of Islam - twelve men and four women, Abu and Umm Salamah were part of these sixteen.

Umm Salamah narrated that life was very peaceful in Abyssinia, free of all religious persecution. She first gave birth to a daughter, whom they named Zaynab. Then she had a son Salamah, hence her name and her husband's name.

The next child was also a son, 'Umar. Finally they had another daughter who they named Durrah. So life was very smooth and time passed uneventfully, in peace and happiness. The ruler of Abyssinia, Najashi, was very kind to the migrants. When the leaders of the disbelievers heard this news they were enraged and thought that the Muslims were becoming a real source of danger for them. They decided to take strong measures to stem the rising tide of Islam.

After a great deal of thought they evolved a plan of action. The disbelievers sent the leading politician of the Arab world, Amr bin 'Aas and 'Abdullah bin Abi Rabi'ah with expensive gifts for Najashi, in order to persuade him to hand over the Muslim migrants to their custody. Najashi was a fair minded, far-sighted and frank man. So he called for the leader of the refugees to present their case. Najashi, after hearing the plea of the Muslims he then told the emissaries of the Quraysh that these migrants were people of good character and could continue to live in Abyssinia as long as they wished. Further, he would continue to give every kind of protection necessary, and the delegation from Makkah could leave carrying back their gifts. If someone gave him even a mountain of gold in exchange for these righteous people he would not surrender them. Umm Salamah has written about this memorable first migration of the Muslims, and described the greatness of Najashi in such a moving manner that it has become an integral and important part of Islamic history.