Chapter 10

{ Edited - 26th August, 2021 }
{ Edited - 6th May, 2024 }

"Fine, just . . . Don't expect much from me," I sighed.

When I took a bite of the tasteless bread, the Gypsies and their children gazed at us with sorrowful expressions. It seemed like they had a sense that the enjoyable night before was over, and now we were heading towards a grim fate. I attempted to lift the spirits of one of them.

"It's okay," I said to a towheaded little boy who seemed on the verge of tears. "We're going to be fine."

His gaze towards me was that of someone seeing a ghost who speaks, his eyes wide and filled with doubt. Ten horses were assembled, accompanied by ten Gypsy riders—one for each of us. Horses would bring us to town much swifter than a caravan of wagons.

The entire undertaking appeared unwise, but I kept my thoughts to myself. As soon as we started, we were off at full speed. Without hesitation, I let go of any sense of decorum and embraced the Gypsy man sitting in front of me, who was in control of the reins.

I didn't even have a moment to bid farewell to the Gypsies who had gathered to witness our departure. It was probably for the best, as goodbyes had never been my forte, especially considering the constant stream of farewells in my life lately.

Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye.

We travelled on horseback. My thighs grew numb from gripping the horse tightly. Bekhir was at the front, with the peculiar boy riding confidently beside him. The boy sat upright with arms relaxed at his sides, showing a stark difference from the night before. He seemed at ease among the Gypsies, not needing our presence. This was where he belonged.

Finally, we gradually slowed down to a trot, and I mustered up the bravery to lift my face from the rider's jacket and admire the ever-changing scenery. The dense forest had transformed into vast fields, stretching out before us.

As we descended into a picturesque valley, I noticed a small town nestled in the center, appearing as tiny as a postage stamp amidst the lush greenery that surrounded it. From the north, a trail of fluffy white dots, resembling puffs of smoke, marked the path of a train approaching the town.

Bekhir stopped the horses just shy of the town gates. "This is as far as we go," he said. "We're not much welcome in towns. You don't want the sort of attention we'd draw."

It's difficult to fathom anyone having an issue with these kind-hearted individuals. However, similar biases were one of the reasons why peculiars chose to distance themselves from society. That's just the unfortunate way the world works.

The kids and I got off the horse. I positioned myself at the back, trying to hide the fact that my legs were shaking. Just as we were about to go, Bekhir's boy sprang down from his father's horse and cried, "Wait! Take me with you!"

"I thought you were going to talk to him," Emma said to Millard.

"I did," Millard replied.

The young man grabbed a backpack from the saddlebag and threw it over his shoulder. He was all set and prepared to leave. "I can cook," he said, "And chop wood, and ride a horse, and tie all sorts of knots!"

"Someone give him a merit badge," said Enoch.

"I'm afraid it's impossible," Emma said to him gently.

"But I'm like you—and becoming more so all the time!" The boy began to unbuckle his pants. "Look what's happening to me!"

He quickly pulled his pants down before anyone could intervene. The girls gasped and averted their eyes. Hugh shouted, "Keep your trousers on, you depraved lunatic!"

There was nothing in sight - he was completely invisible from the waist down. I couldn't resist the urge to sneak a peek at what lay beneath his visible half, giving me a clear look at the inner workings of his bowels.