Chapter 1

It's not that Janis hated the holidays. She loved them as much as the next person, they were a much needed break from work and school and extra time to spend with her friends. It's just that Janis hated the holidays that required she surround herself with family. Like Christmas for example.

Well, mostly just Christmas.

Once upon a time Thanksgiving and Easter had been on that list as well, but as the years went on, it was easier to worm out of those two. She usually had work days cutting too close to the holidays to have the time to go all the way to Georgia, spend two to three days, and come all the way back to Illinois.

She hadn't been so lucky to escape the holiday trip for Christmas however. She rarely was lucky enough to escape it. Her dad knew she hated it and he managed to talk her way out of it sometimes, but he could only make so many plausible excuses for so many years in a row. Her dad had called her this morning on her way to classes to tell her that this was going to be one of the years she had to make an appearance. If not for any other reason except in addition to the mundane holiday traditions, her Uncle Craig was also getting married at the end of the break. She'd accepted it fairly easily, but the thought of being surrounded by nothing but her family for two weeks made her stomach churn.

Janis was pulled out of her metaphorical rain cloud when her phone began buzzing in her bag. She quickly finished cleaning up and pulled her phone out as she made her way out the door. It was the groupchat for her, Cady, and Damian.

caddy cakes: Who's ready for the BEST holiday break EVER???!!!!

caddy cakes: Well 2nd best
caddy cakes: Nothing will ever top last year when Janis won first place in that snowman competition on a technicality

disaster gay: i wasnt there so i dont know what ur talking about
disaster gay: how could it be the best without me?

caddy cakes: You make a good point but have you considered....
caddy cakes: You ditched us to spend the holiday with your boyfriend in LA, so it's the best out of pure spite
caddy cakes: >:P

She chuckled before remembering that she wouldn't be spending the holiday with either of them. She'd have to ruin the mood and break the news to her roommates eventually, better sooner than later.

maleficent's wife: not to disappoint anyone but

disaster gay: oh no
disaster gay: don't tell me you agree with her

maleficent's wife: no, it's worse!
maleficent's wife: I have to spend the break in Georgia!

Janis didn't get to see the responses as she got on her bike, adjusting her helmet and revving the engine before peeling off. Once she arrived to the apartment building, she wasted no time re-opening the chat to read it as she made her way up to the apartment.

disaster gay: GASP

caddy cakes: Wait!!!!
caddy cakes: What's in Georgia???

disaster gay: CATHOLICS
disaster gay: AND FAMILY
disaster gay: AND C A T H O L I C F A M I L Y

caddy cakes: :o!!

maleficent's wife: don't listen to him, caddy, he's just being dramatic
maleficent's wife: they're not actually THAT bad

It wasn't that she hated her family either. She loved her family, it was just that they were exhausting.

"Do you have a boyfriend yet?"