Chapter 5

Janis woke up slowly, wanting to savor the time in the bed as long as possible. Except she felt like someone was watching her so there was no chance at her falling back asleep no matter how hard she tried. She opened one eye and was greeted with the blurry silhouette of Cady, she let out a squeak.

"I wasn't watching you sleep, I swear! Well, okay, I was, but not for like a really long or creepy time!" Cady sprung up into a seated position, "I only woke up like a few minutes ago really and like I rolled over and you looked so content and happy and you were really pretty and-"

Janis interrupted her rambling with a laugh, "It's fine, Caddy. Let's just get dressed and go. Hopefully I won't need to put air in my bike's tires."

Cady perked up, "You have a bike here too?"

She slid off the bed, digging through the top drawers for an outfit, "Not like a motorcycle bike. It's just an old bicycle with pegs on the back wheels. You don't mind riding pegs do you?"

"Pegs?"

Oh. Of course she didn't know what pegs were.

"They're like...little cylinders on the wheels? They're made for stunts in motocross and dirt biking and stuff but people use them to give friends rides and stuff. Like in grade school usually but it's not like we can't do that just because we're in our twenties."

Janis grabbed a pair of shorts she had painted on the back pockets of and a led zepplin shirt, Cady was still just sitting on the bed, watching her, "I'm gonna go change in the bathroom so I can do my makeup afterwards. Be sure the lock the door when I leave while you change, we don't know who might try to just walk in unannounced."

Cady nodded. Once in the bathroom, Janis changed quickly and called Damian before starting on her makeup. He answered in two rings, she could hear the music from the sing-along christmas disney movie in the background.

"What's up, bitch?"

She put him on speaker so she could do her makeup and talk, "Getting ready, I'm taking Caddy to Booth's for breakfast and then we're spending the day in town because last night Huggie came home and I nearly gave him a black eye."

"Oooh, yeah. Caddy texted me last night, is she alright?"

"Yeah, she was reasonably shaken up when it happened though. Pawpaw kicked him out but he's still invited to the christmas dinner and new years party."

"Well, of course. Where else are you going to get dinner and show in the modest town of Petersburg, Georgia?"

"Ha ha, Dam. If the show is my family calling me and Caddy slurs and trying to start fights, I think I can go without. But anyways, how was your first day without us?" Cady walked into the bathroom, she was wearing a black and white flannel and some jeans, she had two jackets folded up in her arms.

"Oh, it's been amazing. I can walk around the house completely naked and no one will yell at me when I burn the cookies," The sarcasm in Damian's voice was painstakingly obvious, "Just kidding. It's horrible. I miss you guys!"

Both Janis and Cady laughed, "I'm sure you'll survive until January."

"That's what you think! You two are gonna come home and I'm going to be a pile of bones on the couch."

Cady handed Janis one of the jackets when she finished her makeup, it was her painted high school jacket again. She slipped on the other jacket herself, it was a white hoodie than Janis recognized as having an elephant on the back, it was from a charity her parents had a hand in.