Chapter 7

Janis' grandmother insisted that everyone who built the bonfire needed to go take a full shower before dinner, not just wash their hands, everything. It was stupid because within the hour they were all going to be outside again for the bonfire. She was about to get out of the shower when she heard the door click and someone walk in. She forgot to lock it, great.

"Hey, ocupado, I'll be out in a minute."

"I-I know," It was Cady, "It's just that your uncle, Huggie, he arrived and I just...didn't want to be out there around him without you."

Janis peeked around the shower curtain, Cady was sitting on the extra counter space, awkwardly twiddling her thumbs, "Okay, well, like I said I'm about to get out. You might want to cover your eyes if you don't want to see my ugly ass."

Cady's hands flew up to cover her eyes as she blushed, "I mean your ass isn't ugly like at all but okay."

"You're being rather cheeky for someone who spent the last two days ignoring me," She could see the smirk on Cady's face as she stepped out of the shower, the smirk fell quick, "I know. I just needed to gather my thoughts and just...think for a while."

Janis quickly got dressed in silence, she pulled Cady's hand down herself when she was through. Their eyes met and they both just stayed there for a moment, Cady caved first, pulling Janis into a tight hug that Janis stumbled into.

"I missed you...I missed my best friend."

Janis relaxed in her arms and hugged her back, "I missed you too, Caddy."

Cady held Janis at arms length, "I'm still mad at you though, but I think we can, and should, talk like later or whenever we can. Just not now, I need to shower and then we have dinner and then the bonfire and-"

"Caddy, it's fine. You take your shower, I'll just wait outside the room," She pulled out her phone from her pocket, "Jason's on his way, so I should probably keep an eye out if Huggie's here already."

"Right. Thank you."

Janis took post in the hall doorway, keeping an eye both on the front door and the bathroom door. She smiled to herself, she could hear Cady humming in the shower, probably too nervous to sing. Her attention was turned to the front door opening finally, in walked her friend in all his edgy glory. He was wearing a black hoodie that said "This is as jolly as I'll get" with an imitation of the typical ugly christmas sweater patterns on the front.

"Greetings and salutations, Sarkisians!" He was spinning his keys around on his finger, "Next time, maybe lock your door, I could have been krampus or something."

He saw Janis and started to walk towards her when a large hand came down on his shoulder, twisting him around face to face with Huggie.

"And who exactly are you, kid?"

"It's JD, Huggie. Don't you recognize the bad boy wannabe?" Janis remarked, Jason scoffed, "I'm not a "bad boy wannabe" whatever that means, Janis."

Huggie looked Jason up and down, releasing the smaller man's shoulder and scoffed, "Of course."

The taller guy rolled his eyes and walked away, not without giving Jason a hard shove, knocking him back into the couch. As he slammed the front door shut, Jason looked over at Janis, "Is the stick up his ass getting looser or is it just so far up there it hurts him to talk?"

"I'm pretty sure if the stick got loose, he'd collapse from the lack of structural support," They met halfway into the living room, Jason lifting her up into a hug as he laughed at her surprise, "Hey!"