Chapter 2

The next morning was a little hectic as they decided what to do while making breakfast, chocolate chip pancakes with blueberry syrup, Janis' favorite, and Cady set alarms for the next morning. As it stands, their current plan for the day was just to get dressed and go do something fun. Janis and Cady were getting dressed in their room while Damian dressed in the bathroom. It was pretty normal routine until Janis noticed Cady had grabbed her jacket, the old one that she'd painted all over from high school, and layered in on top of the thick grey hoodie she was already wearing. Usually, if Cady accidentally grabbed any of Janis' clothes she'd noticed quickly, put it back, and probably apologize too much, but it was impossible she didn't know she grabbed Janis' jacket and she didn't give a second thought to putting it on.

"Ready to go, Jan?"

"Yeah," It probably wasn't worth pointing out, it's not like it mattered if Cady wore her jacket for one trip into the outside world, "Let's go check on Damian."

They decided to spend their last day as a trio walking around the zoo in the snow, which was more for Cady than it was for Janis or Damian. There wouldn't be any snow in Georgia, her favorite part of winter, and they likely wouldn't get a chance to go to the zoo either. She was substantially less disappointed in that fact, but it was a nice treat regardless. But throughout their walk through the zoo, Cady held Janis' hand a lot. Almost a ridiculous amount really, which normally wouldn't stand out so much, except usually she would also hold Damian's hands and huddle up to him in the cold. Janis decided to drop it, she didn't have a plausible reason as to why Cady would be more touchy than usual so therefore she concluded she was just making things up for some reason. After the zoo, Cady insisted they go to an art museum for Janis since it was her family they'd have to suffer through for two weeks.

The second they stepped into the museum, Cady took off to the little coffee shop. They wouldn't be allowed to leave until they finished the drinks, but some nice hot chocolate and coffee would be nice after spending literally five hours in the snow to look at animals. Janis was going to follow Cady until Damian grabbed her arm and pulled her back to him, he had a serious look on his face.

Uh oh.

"Are you sure about bringing Cady to Georgia?"

"What? Yes, I am, Dam. It was her idea anyways," She didn't really understand why they were whispering, it'd be impossible for Cady to hear them from the coffee shop.

"Just because she offered doesn't mean it's smart, she's Caddy. I love her but she's kind of naive."

"Dam, it'll be fine, okay? We're not gonna tell anyone that she's trans."

"And what about the other thing?"

"What other thing?"

Damian looked her up and down, he didn't look impressed in the least bit, "Jan."

"Oh, come on, Damian," Realization struck, "I do not have a crush on Cady again. I told you that crap went away when she ditched the art show for her little party."

"Whatever helps you sleep at night. But does she know that?"

"Why does it matter? It's in the past?"

"God, you two really are the most oblivious creature son the planet. What would you do without me?" Damian grabbed her by the shoulders, "Jan, that girl is like in love with you. Like in love in love with you."

It would make sense, Janis had to admit. It'd explain why Cady offered to go on the trip first, why she was wearing Janis' jacket, and why she was being so much more affectionate than normal.