Chapter Five

FIVE

“The light of the Sorceress has been extinguished my King,” Urkel said in a weak and quivering voice.

The goblin and loyal servant of the Dark King cowered nervously, sensing the evil force of his Master’s glare. The creature lowered his scaly brown head and large yellow eyes. Urkel wore a small black robe that dragged across the floor as he approached and then patiently waited for Moargart to speak.

A Guide to the Living World                  Page 162

Moargart (More-gart)

The ruler of the Shadowlands and reigning King of the Living World. Moargart cannot be described as either human or beast and his origins are a great mystery to all. 

Yet one thing is for certain however. The Dark King is one of the most ruthless and deadly beings to ever have existed in the Living World.

 The Shadowlands were once a beautiful part of the Kingdom and known then as the Noblelands. But now the area has been poisoned and transformed by a deadly force known simply as the Shadow.  

The Shadow crept from all evil souls. And Moargart’s soul was the most deadly and evil of them all. Once the Shadow had taken over a land along with its people then it would become dangerous to pass through and filled with horrible thoughts.

The wicked and all-powerful leader perched in a stolen throne at the centre of the once grand royal chamber. Around him were the empty stone chairs that used to belong to the six noblemen. Moargart had long since banished the former King’s knights from the Kingdom and they were never to return.

This Dark King dressed head to toe in a suit of black armour and by his side he clutched the almighty sword known to all as Erebus. The jet-black blade was rumoured to be carved by and filled with the power of the Shadow. The sword was once used for good yet had been transformed by its owner’s evil thoughts and cravings.

Moargart was now the most feared warrior in the entire Kingdom. Using his destructive nature and the will of the Shadow, the Dark King had the power to spread a nightmarish energy across the lands that would weaken and destroyed all that fought against him.

“The gargoyles my King. They found this around the Sorceress’ neck,” the goblin continued and held up the necklace in his wrinkly hand. Moargart took hold of the jewellery, curled his iron-gloved fingers around the chain and raised it to the eyeholes in his helmet. The hollow glass ball had been shattered and now only the top half of it remained.

“It’s a memory charm Sire,” Urkel whimpered before quickly moving backwards with his head lowered. “An old sorcery trick used to store memories.”

“The…Adventurer,” the Dark King hissed slowly like a deadly snake and then stared deeply at the broken pendant. Moargart began to sense someone’s presence leaking from the charm and into the depths of his dangerous mind.

 “Of course with the necklace broken,” the goblin explained before cowering to deliver the bad news. “The memories it once contained will eventually return to their rightful owner. When the person, who once knew an important truth is ready to remember, then the secret that was inside will be revealed to them once again.”

“And…the…Master…sword,” Moargart wheezed.

“Forgive me my King,” the servant quivered. “We are still searching for the sacred blade but as yet to no avail.”

A vibration rumbled through the chamber floor as Moargart growled in frustration. It was as if his anger ran deep through the lands and nature was reacting to his every thought. He wrapped his hand around the whole charm and then his chest began to pump in and out with a heavy breath.

“No…mercy,” Moargart growled.

“What are your orders Sir?” Urkel asked and tried to steady himself from the mini earthquake that shook the chamber floor.

A yellow glow from his eyes grew brighter and shone through the holes in his helmet. The goblin squinted up towards the Dark King. A swirling wind began to blow all around them before his master snarled a deadly reply.

“Destroy…him.”