Chapter Twenty One

TWENTY  ONE

 Jay and I pushed the Priest’s small wooden boat through the sand and towards the river’s edge. On the side of the vessel was a name written in red paint that read ‘The S.S Light Bearer.’  This boat would be our only hope of crossing the water and reaching the Shadowlands.

The powdery surface of the riverbank beneath our feet was drained of colour and looking around us, there wasn’t much colour anywhere anymore. The river was wide and separated Quilchester from the shores of the Shadowlands. It was the only way forward for us now and there was no going back. 

The winds blew violently around our ears and were becoming so strong that we were almost knocked off our feet. We knew the Shadowlands were just across the water and I could feel its force by the heaviness in the air. We were getting really deep into the Shadow and the harder I tried to think positive, the more the evil thoughts tried to invade my head,

“The journey will be incredibly dangerous,” the Priest warned us as he stared thoughtfully out across the misty river. Valliant had told us that he’d once sailed close to the shores of the Shadowlands before but had never dared to set foot in the awful place.

“We’re ready Father,” I said confidently.

“This boat is only big enough for two and with Grace still feeling rather under the weather,” Valliant explained. “You and Jay will cross the water without her.”

I glanced over at Grace and she did still look shaky and very pale. The Heretic stab was still haunting her and the heavy air was affecting Grace more than anyone else in our group. Jay on the other hand was fairly excited by the idea of our trip. It was as if nothing could stop him from being carefree.

“Now let me go over the plan one more time,” the Priest insisted as Jay collected our things and began to load them into the boat. “Setting sail from here means that you two should land safely upstream. We can’t risk you landing a shore right in the middle of a Heretic army now can we?”

“And then we head straight for the castle right?” Jay yelled with excitement. “We’ll show that Moargart!”

“Not so fast young Minstrel,” Valliant replied. “The whole perimeter of the Shadowlands is guarded by an invisible yet powerful force field. Pure souls like yourselves cannot pass through any part of this wall or you’ll be vaporised!”

“So what do we do?”

“You must enter using the black gate,” the Priest said.

“Black gate?” I asked.

“Listen carefully. Both of you,” Valliant continued more seriously. “The black gate is the only way inside. It looks like a gigantic stone archway.”

“How will we know the way to the gate?” Jay replied.

“You’ll find the entrance at the end of a very famous valley. The Valley of the Nobles to be precise” the Priest instructed us carefully. “Look out for the towering statues of dead kings on the horizon. But you must beware of the Gatekeepers.”

“Gatekeepers?” Jay said and tilted his head like a dog trying to make out a familiar word. “What in the Kings are Gatekeepers?”

“Gatekeepers are Heretics or evil souls who have been trained as Knights and they guard the entrance into the Shadowlands,” the Priest explained before moving in closer to tell us more. “These warriors ride on black dragons and will fight to the death to prevent trespassers from journeying through the gate.”

“Well I guess we should get going,” I said firmly.

Father Valliant nodded and then grabbed the set of oars by his feet before throwing them into the boat. Jay hopped aboard with a bounce. I stepped forward to say my farewells and hoped that they wouldn’t be final.