Chapter 1: One In A Million Stories

Happy Reading

There is no sun rising behind mighty mountains or no beaches with beautiful sunsets but this place is the closest to Naina Agarwal's heart - Ahemdabad. Another lazy city waking and working with its own pace, hiding a million stories in its heart. One such story belongs to Naina Agarwal and Sameer Maheshwari.

At 6 in a Summer morning, the door of the balcony of a flat in Nirmal Jyoti Society opened. A girl, 21 year old, stepped out in her old, purple night suit. She rubbed her eyes and welcomed the morning with a smile.

Mile sur mera tumhara
Toh sur bane humara

The familiar tune caught her attention.

"It's another Sunday." She mumbled and released a long breath "Every day seems the same since I finished college."

She saw her neighbour Megha ben's mother run across the street to talk (read: argue) with the milk man.

"Atleast I'm not getting forced into a marriage like other people of my age." She thought about Megha whose alliance was being fixed with a stranger.

"Naina"

She heard her name being called out and turned in the direction of the voice.

"Papa." A million bulbs lit up in her eyes as she saw the face of the man she respected the most in this world, holding a lota after offering his religious respects to the Sun.

"Where is your sister?" He asked.

"Sleeping ... Like always."

"Just like her mother."

They chuckled.

"Come let's wake her up."

Naina followed her father back to her room where her sister, Preeti was extending her good night's sleep into the morning.

Their father tip toed to their room and sprinkled a little water on his youngest's eyes.

She didn't stir.

Naina took the jar from his hands and emptied it on Preeti's face. She woke up with a scream.

"ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?" Preeti asked her.

"Maybe." She jerked her shoulders and ran away, followed by an angry Preeti.

Anand Agarwal, the man of the house, sat down on an empty chair and laughed his heart out. This was his world -His daughters, his wife and his brothers and their families who stayed next door. Their family was chaotic, a mixture of conservatives and liberals, a mixture of discipline and pampering with the right tinge of crazy.

"Your daughters are running around the whole house." Bela, Anand's wife said.

"Nothing like a morning laughter." He replied.

On the other side of the city, in a room as big as Naina's living room and kitchen combined, the most handsome man in Ahemdabad (atleast he said so) was still sleeping.

"Sameer Bhaiya! Sameer Bhaiya!"

He opened his eyes and got up with a jerk. He looked at his bed side table. It was empty and his alarm clock was lying on the floor. He had pushed it away when it was ringing and had ended up breaking it.

"I'm so dead." He slapped his face.

"Sameer Bhaiya!"

He changed into a formal shirt immediately and ran to the door.

"I'm ready." He smiled at the woman standing outside.

"You are going to your first day of work wearing a red shirt, upside down and not to forget these pyjamas." She raised her eyebrows.