Chapter 6 - Intersecting Paths

Happy Reading

A night, million stars, two tea cups and one stranger.

"Mera naam Sameer Maheshwari hai."

"Toh?"

Naina remembered her last night's adventure and smiled. How could it be possible that one chance encounter with a random person made her feel ... a little different than she did earlier.

"Sameer Maheshwari." Naina whispered to herself.

"Naina?" Preeti knocked on their bedroom's door. "Taiyaar hui ki nahi?"

Her eyes fell on the saree, jewellery and a small make up kit lying on her bed.

"Naina?"

She heard another knock. This time it was her best friend since childhood, Swati.

"Nahi ... Bas 2-2 ... Uhh ... 5 minute." Naina replied.

"Kya kar rahi hai?" She began reprimanding herself in the mirror.

"Ab mai haa nahi karne wali."

Why did she even say that? What was that euphoria she felt while sipping tea and talking to Sameer? Why did she feel so drawn to him or why did she even sympathise with his wounds in a way she hadn't with anyone else's? His personality was so calming that all the anxiety she felt before for her exam results seemed to vanish. She felt a certain soothing energy inside her that was making her wait for the future, patiently.

"Naina?" She heard SwaPree's collective knocks and rushed to change.

The Agarwal household was full of hustle and bustle. Tauji Taiji and their son Pralay was also present at the event. Sweets and snacks with bottles of cold drinks were ready to be savoured by the much anticipated guests.

"Ek baar apne badon se mashwara kar lena chahiye tha, Anand. Wo log Maheshwari hain. Isse accha ladka hum dhundh dete apni biradri me." Tauji said, trying hard to hide his annoyance on the biggest name in Ahemdabad being interested in a simple CA's daughter.

"Bhai sahab, rishta wahi Maheshwari lekar aaye the mai nahi. Agar mai chirag lekar bhi dhundhne jaunga na toh isse accha rishta mujhe nahi milega. Maheshwari ji Naina ke sapno ko-" Anand tried to explain his point of view to his brother but he was cut in between.

"Kya Naina ki zindagi ke liye faisla lene ka haq akele tumhara tha?" Tauji asked.

"Naina MERI beti hai aur haan, rishta tay hoga ya nahi ye Naina ka faisla hoga. Aakhri faisla maine liya hi nahi hai."

"Theek hai fir."

Tauji walked away, sat on the dining table and began gulping glasses of water.

Meanwhile, the door to Naina's room opened.

"Finally!" Swati chimed.

Naina stepped out. She looked nothing short of a princess. In her blue sari and open hair, Naina looked straight like she had descended from heaven.

Anand caught Naina's attention and took her out in the balcony for a while.

"Naina, kal tum bahut gusse me thi aur humari baat nahi ho payi. Beta, samjho. Ladka, uske gharwale bahut acche hai. Wo tumhari padhai ke liye koi problem nahi khadi karenge . Ek baar is ladke ko mauka do agar tumhe nahi pasand aaya toh hum mana kar denge." Anand said.

Sameer's advise to go back home and give her parents and this alliance one chance began echoing in Naina's ears.

"I'm sorry Papa. Kal na maine aapki baat suni aur aapse bahut badtameezi se baat ki. Aap mujhe maaf kar denge na?" Naina's kohl lined eyes were filled with tears.