Chapter 3 - Bound By Trust

Happy Reading💛

Life ... is strange. There are moments when you don't have the will to go on and days stretch before you but there are also days filled with sheer bliss and in the light of the happiness we forget that every thing we sense is mortal. Our time is limited yet we have to love and live hard to make the most of the time we are gifted with.

Standing near the window of his room, Nanu was having similar thoughts. A week had passed since the Samaj Samelan but the translucent memories of fainting helplessly hadn't left haunting him. He had lived a full life - long and happy but he had one concern, one responsibilty - Sameer.

He looked at the empty road outside his house through his window glass. Night had enveloped the city, dusk was long gone but his thoughts didn't cease.

When he looked back in life, he felt content but when he thought of Sameer fear used to trap him. It was too soon to leave the boy alone. He had to teach him the basics of the business. Devang would take Kamlesh's position and Sameer his. He had made the decision but his grandson needed to learn a lot and stand on his own two feet, before his Nanu died.

"He would be left alone in the world after me." Nanu thought. "I can teach him business skills, he is talented. I should finalize my will tomorrow but if I die soon who will take care of him? I trust Kamlesh and his family, Munna Pandit are also like his real brothers but my child needs more."

Suddenly, a lot of light filled Nanu's room, he turned around and found Sameer standing near the switch board.

"What are you doing here alone in the dark, Nanu?" Sameer asked.

"Thinking."

"Thinking?"

"Yes, sit."

Sameer took a seat on one of sofas in Nanu's room while the old man sat next to him. After a long pause, he said

"Do you trust me, beta?"

"Do you have doubts on that?"

"No."

Nanu smiled while running his hand through his grandson's head.

"When I experienced angina for the first time -"

"Nanu, don't."

"No. Listen. When I experienced angina for the first time, the first thought I had was of my very dear friend."

Sameer was hoping that Nanu would take his name. He looked down at his toes to hide his disappointment, failing miserably. Nanu laughed out loud.

"Do you want to know the name of that friend?" He asked.

Sameer looked up, silently.

"You."

Sameer tried to muffle his laughter.

"In you, I've found a son, a confidant, a friend. I can't choose the right words to describle what I feel for you, beta. I share an extraordinary relationship."

Both of them looked at each other, emotions filled to the brim.

"I have no regrets, demands or questions from my life but I love you, Sameer. You know what comes with human love?"

Sameer nodded his head in a no.

"With a human's love comes attachment and fear. Even with pure love, you can't just let go or not be protective and scared for the ones you love. Since I fainted that day, my fears for you have crept back. If I die, how will you survive?"