Chapter 6: Wondering

"Okay you have to tell me what the hell happened with Robin!" Kostya turned away from his locker to see Lena. She had her arms crossed and was looking up at him, slightly intimidated by his height.
"It's probably personal, I really shouldn't tell you."
"Oh c'mon! We're really close friends and he won't answer my calls or texts and he hasn't come to school in 3 days. Tell me what happened, I know you were there!" She yelled. The last student in the hallway closed their locker and left- the coast was clear and Lena did deserve to know a basic summary at least.

"Okay, I swear to God I'm going to personally hunt you down if you tell anyone this." He muttered seriously, knowing well he would never lay a finger on her. "Robin asked Benjamin out to the formal, he declined, Robin smashes his fist into a mirror, then he has a bit of a cry and we almost get beaten to a pulp. That's all I'll say."
"That's...intense."
"I know. And now he's god knows where with a bloody, cut-up fist."
"I hope he's okay." She trembled.
"Yeah... me too. He went to the ER and everything but no ones heard from him since. But please just don't tell anyone. The only people that know besides me and you are my friends and that Roko kid."
"Roko Blažević? Why would he kn-"
"That's part of it's own long kind of story that I don't really have time for."

The Formal was becoming a huge subject across school as the days neared when students would stay out late and bring their partners to party in a venue the school would hire. Word of Lena and Alexander or Elina and Stig going together were top tier conversation starters and rebellions would often boast about the crazy drinks they'd make- or the moves they'd show off on the dance floor. Nikita still couldn't help looking at his poem at least twice a day- it was so sweet yet alluring, it made him feel special, the chosen one, admired. He'd folded it up neatly and he kept it safe in his pocket each and every day, right next to him when he was feeling unmotivated.

On a particularly sunny Saturday morning that same week, there was a knock at Niki's door. He slumped down the stairs and opened it, greeted by the rest of the Five Guys; Ari smiling very cheerfully.
"We're going suit shopping!" He announced excitedly.
"Uh, suits?"
"As in 'Formal suits'." Kostya explained.
"Yeah, yeah. I know what you meant, I just didn't know we were going...ALL out." He muttered.
"See!" Mikolas said to Ari. "I told you we should go in onesies."
"We'd get kicked out! Besides, wouldn't we all look great in suits?"
"Never wore one." Nikita sighed tiredly, "Like ever." But this still wasn't stopping Ari.
"Keyword: FORMAL. Do suits not spring to mind?"
"No?"
"Well, we're going. I'm not showing up in joggers." Kostya insisted.
"What about-"
"Or a onesie!"

Before Nikita could intervene, they were already on their way to the bus stop, prepared to go into town.
"I promise you'll great in a tux!" Ari eagerly eased him into the idea.
"Yeah, yeah. Or you could wear a button-up and a tie, whatever floats your boat." Benji said, his eyes not moving from his phone screen as he scrolled through various social medias; dying for a sense of inspiration. The bus arrived not long after, quite late but not long enough for the guys to get impatient. They took their usual seats right at the back, Mikolas heading straight for a window seat. He watched as the houses in their neighbourhood disappeared into the distance.

Kostya went to take his phone from his pocket to pass the time when he accidentally brushed against Nikita's side. There was a small object in the pocket of his white ripped jeans- in the rough shape of a square. Curiously, he took it out, Niki noticing immediately. It was a piece of paper.
"What's this?" He asked mischeviously as he unfolded the page.
"N-no wait!" Kostya recognised the piece of paper straight away- the words inked onto it giving him a haunting sense of déjà vu; the letter he'd written to Nikita was staring back at him. "Uhh, I-I didn't even know that was in there!" He panicked, quickly grabbing the note from Kostya's grip.
"You kept it?" Kostya whispered quietly, not being able to hold back a pleased smile.
"Yeah, I um...just forgot about it. I don't know who they are but...I haven't heard back from them since. Maybe I should throw it out."

As the group saw the large shopping mall in their eye view, they left the bus and entered the bustling centre. They all knew exactly where to go for the most decent but reasonably priced formal wear in town: Clarkson's. Ari headed straight for the suit jackets while Niki preferred to wander in the racks of the simple dress shirts. He didn't desire anything too extravagant, but he liked to see Ari happy. He could see Kostya in his eyeline, browsing the various blazers to the left of the store- something about the way he reacted to see the poem made him think. Why did he care? Why would he care? Because he kept it? But he seemed oddly happy about it, it really made him wonder...

"Anything caught your eye?" He was taken out of his deep thoughts with a shudder as Benji's voice caught him off guard.
"No not ye-" his eyes met with a dark shirt amongst the cream and white colours in the long rack of button-ups. He held it up, instantly falling in love with the navy shirt, decorated in a floral, red pattern of roses. "Nevermind..." He muttered his eyes glued to the piece of clothing in front of him.
"I like your style!" Benji admired the shirt. "Hey, are leather jackets formal?"
"If you want them to be. I mean, no one's going to stop you."
"Hell yeah!" He cheered.

Sooner or later, the boys found their desired clothing fit for the event and decided to grab a hot drink at the local coffee shop- located in the centre of the shopping mall. It had been quite a tiring day already, constantly trying on different combinations of jackets and dress pants and ties: a dose of caffeine was exactly what they needed. The Five Guys entered the quiet coffee shop and ordered their usual drinks- taking a seat on one of the several empty tables.

"So, you having fun?" Kostya asked Niki, stirring a sweetener into his black coffee.
"Surprisingly, yes." He sighed in response. He gazed at him admirably.
"I can't wait!" Miki grinned. The steam from his hot tea fogged his glasses; he wiped them against his white T-shirt.
As he put them back on, his eyes focused on some boys ordering at the counter. He gasped. "Oh shit. Oh shit!" He hissed, patting Benji's shoulder rapidly. "It's him! It's Robin, he's here."
"Hide me!" He shrieked, beginning to panic. Robin sat down at a small, round table a few feet away from them, Eduard Romanyuta joining him. They didn't seem to notice the boys staring at them as they casually stirred their tall, iced coffees.
Benji couldn't help but to stare at the pair, especially Robin- his right fist visibly bandaged. He seemed fine, not deranged or angry. In fact, he seemed pretty content as he chatted to his dear friend.

They couldn't hear what they were discussing but they both appeared oddly calm. Ari sighed with relief
"I think we'll actually be alrigh-"
Robin turned, locking eyes with Benji, his eyes widened before he quickly looked away: embarrassed.
"He looked at me." Benji squeaked, using Kostya as a human shield. "He caught me staring."
"What did he do?" He muttered.
"He just looked away..."
"He didn't like... death-stare you or anything?" Ari gulped.
"No. I mean, I don't think so." He looked back discretely only to see Robin looking over at the group- flashing a pair of sad eyes at his old friend. Benji felt a sudden rush of determination, determination to do the right thing. They quickly finished their drinks before rushing to leave the awkward atmosphere- but Benji wasn't quite ready.
"Wait!" He said. The boys turned to look at him. "I need to do something." He began to walk towards Robin's table...