Chapter 13: Forever

"I already told you guys, I don't want to talk about it." The Five Guys- minus Kostya- were situated in a narrow, empty corridor after school hours.
"Seriously, is this really that important? I just want to go home." Nikita sighed. The boys had promised to show him something- quite suspiciously- and with enough persuasion, Niki had given in and followed them to a vacant area after their final lesson of the day.
"It won't take long!" Benji persisted energetically, attempting to emphasize the excitement. "Please just stay."
"Alright, alright, just tell me what it is then." Nikita said. Ari smiled at him, looking at his friends that were in on the ordeal.
"Oh, you'll see..."

They walked through the almost silent school, words unspoken, as Nikita's mind overloaded with possibilities of what they could be leading him to. He just couldn't shake off the feeling that he wasn't going to enjoy it, that whatever he was going to see would make him wish he'd never given in to their plies. The constant and undying feeling of anxiety and discomfort loomed over him like an ominous thunder cloud; it brought him to speak out about it.
"You know, on second thought, I really don't think I should be here. Could we just go home?" There was no answer. Puzzled, he gazed around him, immediately realising the fact that Ari, Mikolas and Benji were gone.

"Guys?! Guys?!" The confusion only rose as he circled the corridor in curiosity and worry. "This isn't funny, what am I supposed to-" he paused. Niki couldn't help but to think he could hear something in the distance. An extremely faint but definitely present continuous sound. He felt a strange but strong and intense impulse to follow it. As he synchronised his steps towards the peculiar sound, it immersed into a tune, a tune that took Niki by surprise. The transcending melody only enticed him more as he gingerly followed it. Before he knew, he could begin to make out a voice paired with the melody- beautifully familiar and mysterious, a hypnotic state of wonder, curiosity and comfort overcoming the eager follower.

He found the door at last, barely ajar, an old room situated beyond the vast music corridor of Euro High. He hadn't seen that classroom in a long time, he hadn't seen it since... since he first met Kostya. He remembered going there every lunch break- not a friend to his name- to read in his own confined space in the unused classroom. That was until one day a tall, handsome stranger had discovered his spot and decided to use the old piano in peace, the immediate connection they felt and the friendship they built in less than a heartbeat; it all felt so simple back then. That's when it hit him like a ton of bricks- it had to be Kostya's voice. Nikita wasn't sure wether to be more enticed to open the door or to shy away from the memories held by his protector turned enemy. Though his singing made him feel nothing but undying comfort and love towards the boy he'd once seen as a soft, secure companion. There was nothing left to do but to face his fears and to open the door. Niki sighed silently and pushed the door as gently as his delicate fingers could manage; the rusted hinge still sounding a loud squeak.

Kostya abruptly stopped playing the piano in the corner of the spacious room and turned to face Nikita, preparing his lecture on how he was oh so sorry and how he was fully to blame and... no. Maybe that wasn't what he had to do. Kostya had rehearsed a conundrum of ways to apologise and was sure he was ready, but now as he faced him once and for all, he suddenly changed his mind. He had to say something spontaneously, from the heart, no scripted speeches or robotic explanations, no-
"Hey." The sound uttered from the teenage boy in front of him was close to inaudible but enough to cut off his racing mind.
"Hi. Yeah, so I uh just wanted to play a song for you. No reason. Actually, no never mind, there was a reason, sorry, no I mean... uh sorry, I just wanted to-" He continuously contradicted himself as he spoke so quickly that Nikita could only stand and step back in alarm.

"It's alright. I get it." Nikita muttered. It was a monotone and emotionless response that tugged at Kostya's heart strings. He was trying his best but couldn't seem to blame Niki for feeling the way he did after he harmed him on that dreadful night.
"No really. Regarding the Formal..."
"You don't need to be sorry, I just don't want to talk about it, okay?" Niki stayed standing as Kostya sat on a nearby stool. "Please just tell me what's going on. Does this have anything to do with the guys? Did you plan something? Because this isn't the time. I just want to go home and forget about it."
"But I..." Kostya began. "I owe you an apology don't I? I shouldn't have lashed out at you without thinking and I just hope that you won't hold that against me."
Niki simply looked down at him coldly, all feelings of security he'd went into the room feeling drifting off into the harsh silence.
"It's alright, I accept your apology. Friends make mistakes sometimes."